U8 soccer

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 22, 2008 in Sports
Allrighty...today I had the chance to try my first U8 soccer game. I've done a few practices now, but today was my first game. I tried to remember the tips from you sports shooters. I'll share some of my faves and would love some C&C so I can do better next time!

Canon 40D, 70-200 f/4 L IS (used at f/4)
ISO 800 or 1000
shutters ranged from 1/800 - 1/1250

376552320_5Vxap-L.jpg

376553597_mRa9g-L.jpg

376554423_oBCFv-L.jpg

376653498_9E9w2-L.jpg

376652911_ChrfN-L.jpg

376555554_HJJH6-L.jpg

Depending on where I was, my backgrounds either had a nice hedge/fence or a parking lot. I tried AI Servo but gave up on it. But then I realized I didn't have a focus point chosen, so maybe it would have worked better if I had chosen the center point? Anyway, I went with One Shot on rapid fire (center focus point chosen), but was a bit disappointed in the number of just OOF shots I got. Hopefully this will improve with practice. Anything else I should know about that?
I did do some cropping on these images and some minimal pp. I wish I didn't have to use such high ISOs, but it was cloudy today so that's what I needed to get the shutter up.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any input!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

Much better than the first series! Great improvement!

#2 and #4 are my favorite of the series.

I still think AI Servo with center point is the way to go if you're trying to track someone. Sometimes, use all focus points, but it really depends on the conditions of the day for me.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

Much better than the first series! Great improvement!

#2 and #4 are my favorite of the series.

I still think AI Servo with center point is the way to go if you're trying to track someone. Sometimes, use all focus points, but it really depends on the conditions of the day for me.

Yay! Thanks, April! I'll try AI Servo again with center point focus and see what happens.
    Elaine

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Elaine wrote:
    Yay! Thanks, April! I'll try AI Servo again with center point focus and see what happens.

Hi Elaine

I use AI Servo exclusively for sports (and often everything else since I don't always remember to change that).

These are pretty good. If you can (ie if the ref doesn't object) try moving to behind the goal to have a better chance to get faces in your shots:
    322008202_S6Bm2-M-1.jpg

309010726_E5iPr-M-1.jpg

333270998_V2eDa-M.jpg

On second look, you did pretty well in that regard too. Just keep shooting, you are well on your way.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    I agree - nice improvement. A touch over-exposed - which takes away some punch. But overall - very good improvement. Nicely done.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    BIG improvement from last time. IMO exposure is pretty good, faces are nicely exposed, colors look great being it seemed to be pretty cloudy.

I'm surprised you got any in focus NOT using AI Servo. Try again with the center point only. I've tried with just the center point and all points- at this age there's still too much traveling in packs for all points to be reliable and not drift to another player.

Keep up the good work.

Gene
  • jjvfxjjvfx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    I think you should set AI Servo and use only the center focus. AI Servo is designed for tracking objects which is perfect for this. Nice Job!
    Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EOS 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Elaine

I use AI Servo exclusively for sports (and often everything else since I don't always remember to change that).

These are pretty good. If you can (ie if the ref doesn't object) try moving to behind the goal to have a better chance to get faces in your shots:
    322008202_S6Bm2-M-1.jpg
    333270998_V2eDa-M.jpg...

On second look, you did pretty well in that regard too. Just keep shooting, you are well on your way.

Thanks, Ann! Great example shot, BTW. I was sitting to the left or right of the goal for these. That was definitely better than the side-lines! The refs are high-schoolers at this stage, so I don't think I'll have any trouble maintaining that position for future games. I've got lots more Saturdays of games coming up!
    Elaine

johng wrote:
    I agree - nice improvement. A touch over-exposed - which takes away some punch. But overall - very good improvement. Nicely done.

Thank you very much! Improvement is great in my book!
    Elaine

kini62 wrote:
    BIG improvement from last time. IMO exposure is pretty good, faces are nicely exposed, colors look great being it seemed to be pretty cloudy.

I'm surprised you got any in focus NOT using AI Servo. Try again with the center point only. I've tried with just the center point and all points- at this age there's still too much traveling in packs for all points to be reliable and not drift to another player.

Keep up the good work.

Gene

Thank you! Yes, it was completely cloudy, which I was kinda thankful for, since the game was right at noon.

I will definitely try again with the AI Servo and center point focus.
    Elaine

jjvfx wrote:
    I think you should set AI Servo and use only the center focus. AI Servo is designed for tracking objects which is perfect for this. Nice Job!

Thanks! Will do!
    Elaine