pictures for Grandmother-HELP ME PLEASE!

patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited September 24, 2008 in People
I am due to send my Mother-in-law birthday pictures of my son. She is very critical of the pictures I take and she doesn't understand why I don't just take the kids to a studio. These are a few of the shots that I got of him today. Tristan's birthday is still a month away so I will be taking more before ordering anything. If I could get some feedback on these that would be great. FYI no cropping has been done as of yet.
376662318_vNVU7-XL.jpg
376662747_9jM3Q-XL-2.jpg
376661926_sDNDv-XL.jpg

Comments

• nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    The top of his head and parts of his face are too hot in #2. I like the background there though. I too like to capture children in their natural environment. This is the opposite of the Wal-Mart (etc) approach, where you have to use their bg and props. Save the good stuff (your efforts) for you and your husband and send the canned school pics to granny.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    For me, picture #2 has the distraction of the leaf being on the forehead. I agree with the in environment approach.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    I defiantly see what you are talking about with #2. I worked on it some this morning. This is my husbands favorite picture from yesterday so it is going to end up on my wall.

376948715_fsbos-XL.jpg
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    I defiantly see what you are talking about with #2. I worked on it some this morning. This is my husbands favorite picture from yesterday so it is going to end up on my wall.

376948715_fsbos-XL.jpg

This is also my favorite and with a little work in PS you can clone the offesive leafe out and then even out the tones to make this a real winner. I love the background.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    I have the same problem! I will say that my mother-in-law is getting better. Now she just wants me to have my own studio for those shots. For her, it's more about wanting the studio look for portraits, rather than not thinking I'm a good photographer, but it took a long time for that to come out. Now I just refuse to send my kids to a cheap studio, and she's gotten used to the environmental portraits.

Anyway, your pictures are gorgeous and seem to capture your child's essence.

Caroline
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    You have got down to his level to shoot, which is good.

Maybe try and ether have a head shot or all of him rather than chop off feet.

I would try to get him looking at the camera.

Oh, and what leaf?

Sam
    I played with the picture again. I was not going to attempt to clone the leaf out, the idea kind of scared me. After seeing what Sam did with it I decided to give it a whirl. I had some problems with the hair, but I don't think its to bad for my first attempt at cloning something out of a picture.

377089177_vUsRk-XL.jpg
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    I played with the picture again. I was not going to attempt to clone the leaf out, the idea kind of scared me. After seeing what Sam did with it I decided to give it a whirl. I had some problems with the hair, but I don't think its to bad for my first attempt at cloning something out of a picture.

I did not look at a high rez version but I would say that there is nothing to be ashamed of with this effort.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    There is nothing here to be ashamed of. thumb.gif With a very few small technique changes, I think you can blow the studio shots right out of the water.

#1 and #3 don't do anything special for me. He's centered which can sometimes work but not here. In addition, he not looking at the camera and looking at something outside the frame.

#2 iloveyou.gif - He's interacting with his environment, he's looking at (and interacting with) the camera.

In all three, you are down on his level (an extreme goodness) allowing him to more easily interact with you (and vise-versa).

To improve for next time:
    • Using vegetation to frame your subject is a good idea. You've got a little too much here.
    • Consider using something to fill the shadows under his eyebrows, either a reflector (held by and assistant:D) or some fill flash.
    • Try not to cut off his toes - he needs those to walk with. When cropping, try not to cut through joints.
    • Watch your exposure. Don't trust the picture in your LCD as it will lie to you every time. Use your histogram as it will give you a better idea of what your exposure really is.
    • If you can, shoot a gray card. This will allow you to more easily set the white balance during post - saves the guessing.
    Thanks for all of the advice. I went ahead and lightened around his eyes in #2. As far as his toes go I just need to watch that better. The other two were not cropped when I posted them to start with. I know he isn't looking at the camera in 1 and 2 I was just glad he was standing still. Here are the finals (I hope) for all three pictures.

376713566_8Z98Q-XL-1.jpg

377199447_iRDY4-XL.jpg

376661926_sDNDv-XL-1.jpg
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    I have to agree with the other comments. I love the pose against the wagon wheel. Great job. The only other thing that hits me right off the bat is the lack of catch lights in his eyes. I always add fill flash to outdoor portraits to create a little sparkle in the eyes. Otherwise they seem kind of void IMHO. Don't listen to the mil and keep taking those pictures!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited September 24, 2008
    Thanks Sandy! As for the fill flash, we left the house and I forgot to grab the batteries for the flash off the charger. I was taking these pictures around sunset with no flash because I was absent minded. At least I remembered to charge the batteries, now to remember to take them with me.