Baldy Announcement on Vincent Laforet's Blog

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
edited September 23, 2008 in Cameras
Whoa baby. :thumb:clap:thumb:clap:barb

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/20/something-very-interesting-is-comingboth-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/#comment-1152

Vincent, you’ve wrecked my sleep too. :-) All I can think about is what a game changer this is and how I can’t stand the wait for mine.

So here’s a blog comment you don’t see every day: you’ve done such an amazing job in so short a time with so little budget, we’d love to see what you could do with more.

I work at SmugMug and we’re crazy about video and photography, so we’ll donate at least $25K towards your next film, maybe $50K. And we’ll provide awesome, fast hosting.

It’d be great if other companies/people stepped up to match us so you could do something stunning.

Who knows if it makes marketing sense, but I do know how exciting it’ll be.

Maybe this gets me an early one from Canon?!! :-) At least it gets a bunch of us drooling on our keyboards as we live vicariously through you.

Chris MacAskill
Comment by Chris MacAskill 09.21.08 @ 8:55 pm
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Oh snap!!!
    eek7.gifbarb
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 22, 2008
    Ooh, wow.

I am glad I ordered mine 10 days ago, from Fotocare.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ooh, wow.

I am glad I ordered mine 10 days ago, from Fotocare.

I'll join you guys. I just preordered one too, priced at 2499€.

All of my aps-c type lenses and my aged & trusted
    Canon 10D are going to find a new owner on eBay soon.

This is going to be a fresh start with a big bright viewfinder
    and only three lenses (17-40/4.0L, 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8L).

Lets hope I'll get one before new years. :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Do you have to pay up front to pre order or can you put a down payment first?

Just... testing the waters right now..:D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins

You don't pay, usually, until shipment.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins

At Calumet you order now, but you will not pay until it ships.

Go with good friend of Dgrin, Tallyn's :D
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Fotocare has also been a really good friend to some of us. And you won't get better, smarter, less self-interested advice than from Jeff Hirsch.

So if you are paying full price to get something brand new, and expect (as you should in such situations) first class customer service, use Fotocare.

Sorry, Andy, but you should get to know Jeff, too. You won't be sorry.
    If not now, when?

I have to pay when I pickup the camera at the shop.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    Looks as though these are going to be around $4300 in the UK, pah! headscratch.gif

Anyone want to order me one and I'll fly over and get it, it'll probably still work out cheaper than buying here, plus we can go out for a days shooting before I fly back :D

Charlie
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    rutt wrote:
    Fotocare has also been a really good friend to some of us. And you won't get better, smarter, less self-interested advice than from Jeff Hirsch.

So if you are paying full price to get something brand new, and expect (as you should in such situations) first class customer service, use Fotocare.

Sorry, Andy, but you should get to know Jeff, too. You won't be sorry.

I see you are from Boston. Is fotocare in Mass.

Never mind. Found it. Thanks
    RON
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    thebigsky wrote:
    Anyone want to order me one and I'll fly over and get it, it'll probably still work out cheaper than buying here, plus we can go out for a days shooting before I fly back :D
    You could visit the Dgrin birthday party, and pick one up while you are there mwink.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    ivar wrote:
    You could visit the Dgrin birthday party, and pick one up while you are there mwink.gif
    I'm bummed Ivar :cry
    I read your post as being they were having them at the party, maybe as a door prize. ne_nau.gif Read the whole B'Day party thread again and realized you were saying BigSky could pick one up in the US while he was going to the party.rolleyes1.gif

But that door prize idea sounds pretty good, huh!mwink.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I read your post as being they were having them at the party, maybe as a door prize. ne_nau.gif Read the whole B'Day party thread again and realized you were saying BigSky could pick one up in the US while he was going to the party.rolleyes1.gif

Now that's a real motivational factor!

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    jdryan3 wrote:

lol3.gif

Yeah, just to be really clear, "there" referred to the United States, not the party as such lol3.gif
    ivar wrote:

Well that would be nice, now who has a spare room :D

Charlie
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Sounds cool clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    You don't pay, usually, until shipment.

I can't believe I just pre-ordered. The guy at Tallyn's I spoke to was very pleasant. Thanks Andy.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    << Looks as though these are going to be around $4300 in the UK, pah! >>

First person I'd contact, for a UK based deal - if in the market for one of these (which I'm not) would be Ian Kerr (Kerso / Flash Camera on uno where) - having bought 4 items from him without problems. (2 macro lenses/ 2 batteries).

Check on the net for other ppl's experiences, if not already aware.

pp
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

My coast is closer! Come here! I even have a spare room. Any excuse to go shooting with you again. :D
    Llywellyn wrote:
    My coast is closer! Come here! I even have a spare room. Any excuse to go shooting with you again. :D
    Charlie, can you put the recorder on when you tell the Missus you're shacking up with Kerry? :D
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    Hold up a sec...

Re: http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/20/something-very-interesting-is-comingboth-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/#more-1085
    Baldy wrote:
    So here’s a blog comment you don’t see every day: you’ve done such an amazing job in so short a time with so little budget, we’d love to see what you could do with more.

I work at SmugMug and we’re crazy about video and photography, so we’ll donate at least $25K towards your next film, maybe $50K. And we’ll provide awesome, fast hosting.

It’d be great if other companies/people stepped up to match us so you could do something stunning.

Hold up -- so ok, this guy's still photography work is amazing, sure. But he writes:
    Not to mention: I have never shot a film before - of any kind - in my life. (Other than 2 videos that I have cut of my son in the past 4 years of his life…)

And as far as I could see from trudging through the comments, the actual video *was not even posted* when Baldy made an offer to donate $25K to his next film.

So, while I'm in awe of this new camera, I'm almost more in awe of Baldy's offer of $25K to a first-time filmmaker whose first video has not even seen, based only on the fact that he's using a wicked-cool new camera to shoot it (which has yet to ship to the public)?

Yeah, to echo the original poster, whoa.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    darryl wrote:
    And as far as I could see from trudging through the comments, the actual video *was not even posted* when Baldy made an offer to donate $25K to his next film.

I believe both Baldy and Andy has both seen the film. Smuggy is helping with the hosting of things (don't know the actually film -- it might be).
    darryl wrote:

So, while I'm in awe of this new camera, I'm almost more in awe of Baldy's offer of $25K to a first-time filmmaker whose first video has not even seen, based only on the fact that he's using a wicked-cool new camera to shoot it (which has yet to ship to the public)?

We've seen it deal.gif it's coming tonight clap.gif

And we're excited to be associated with Vincent, and his passion for photography, his creative zeal, and his totally awesome attitude :D Let's not forget that he's a Pulitzer Prize winner, eh :D

Having spent nearly the entire past 48 hours on the phone with him, I can tell you that he's an awesome guy, and we're lucky to be associated with him. Personally, I'm going to collaborate on a stills project right away with Vincent (details to come soon!) and I can't tell you what thrill that is for me. One of my favorite pieces of his is "Me and My Human" shot at NYC's Central Park that's hanging in my living room :D His shot post-dates some shadow play that I'd done in New York in 2004 and I've always been an Admirer.

We think that hi def video is a big part of our industry, that's why we beefed up our Video offering many months ago. It's here to stay and we will be part of this evolution (revolution?).
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    And we're excited to be associated with Vincent, and his passion for photography, his creative zeal, and his totally awesome attitude :D Let's not forget that he's a Pulitzer Prize winner, eh :D

Personally, I'm going to collaborate on a stills project right away with ...
    I've always been an Admirer.

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

You really know how to make a girl drool. I would love to pick his brain, or just watch how he works, how he set ups things, etc.

I discovered his work a few years ago and immediately moved to the top of my list of favorite photographers...

I'm so happy that smuggy is working with him!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Fantastic clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    aktse wrote:

You really know how to make a girl drool.

:D
    Michael Reichmann now has a preview of the 5D Mk II as well:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/5dmkiipre.shtml
    ― Edward Weston
    Llywellyn wrote:

Kerry, when it gets to the release date, if the price differential remains as great I might just take you up on that offer thumb.gif

Charlie
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Charlie, can you put the recorder on when you tell the Missus you're shacking up with Kerry? :D

It's also a guy's name. blbl.gif

And the reaction would likely be similar to most of ours while reading about your collaboration with Vincent! :D

Now, get us some videos! :whip