Night Football with Flash (Multiple Photos Warning)

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited September 26, 2008 in Sports
I'm discovering that the sweet spot for the flash is no more than 30 feet away, so I'm trying to be patient and let the action come to me. I think I'm improving, and would love any C & C.

-1-
377731123_tjdiG-L.jpg

-2-
377730407_aQjgv-L.jpg

-3-
377733452_BxRRx-L.jpg

And for comparison, some sweet late evening shots:

-4-
377327746_kiphz-L.jpg

-5-
377331068_wotZ9-L.jpg

-6-
377333103_xMrGv-L.jpg

Comments

• du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Yellows
    Hi,

I haven't seen what you've done previously, so can't speak to improvement, but I like these shots. They show the eyes, and I'm learning how important that is.

As to the flash, I've never tried it on a night game, but there is a hotspot on the helmet in 1 & 3. Because I honestly don't know, would a diffuser help, or would it knock down the light so much that you don't get any benefit.

Also, I wonder if you pulled these into photoshop and did some work in the hue and satration pallet (pull out some of the yellow, and maybe some green) if they would look a little more natural.

In fact, I just did a quick adjustment in PS, and in the hue and saturation pallet, I did -31 on the red saturation and -37 on the yellow saturation and the color looks MUCH better!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Are you talking about the non-flashed photos being too yellow, or the flashed photo? If you're talking about the non-flashed, that's because of the setting sun creating the warm light. I'll experiment like you said and bring down the yellow, but I'm torn between leaving it like it is and adjusting.

Yes, if I used a diffuser it greatly reduces the flash range, so it's not an option unless I wait until they are much closer, which doesn't always happen.

Great feedback - thanks for posting!
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    First three
    Hi,

Sorry about that. I should have been more specific. I was referring to the first three being too yellow. The second set of three (daylight) were excellent. Possibly a bit red (magenta?), but it also speaks of the time of day.

d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    I too am going for the flash look and I like what I am seeing with your shots. I think the cropping is perfect so that the parents can choose to get bigger prints than a 4x6 mwink.gif

I notice that a team is from Decatur! If that is the team you are following than I am a stones throw away from you in the Gainesville area! Let me know where your from!
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Hey Tom,

I'm contracted to shoot Trophy Club-Roanoke Youth Football at all of their home games which happen to be in the very nice Northwest ISD Stadium. Decatur is in this league, as well as Krum, Argyle, Ponder, Springtown, and a few Northwest and Trophy Club teams.

Good catch about the cropping - I can't crop too tight on these posted pics so if the parents buy any print bigger than 4x6 a hand, foot or helmet won't get chopped off. I usually crop much closer, but not for these type of gigs.

Have a good weekend!