need critique before i do my 1st photoshoot

readysetgocapturereadysetgocapture Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited September 22, 2008 in People
So a while ago i had my first taste for taking photos of people, first being a photo of my sister,just for fun. i will post that here because she has asked me to do a photoshoot of her for her portfolio and i need some tip and critique so i can provide her with some good photos. i will post two one i cropped quite close, i had to due to the fact i hadn't figured out DOF yet so it was a busy mcdonalds in the background.....the other of her smiling, i dont like the hair in her eye but oh well i know to watch for it now, i will post another post with the 2nd photo.
black n white front face.jpg

Comments

• readysetgocapturereadysetgocapture Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2008
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    looking over
    After looking over the photos and your Website probably the best thing would be to take time to pour thru some magazines and find photos that you and she like and then seek to try and capture whatever it is you see or feel in them.
    You didn't mention what kind of portfolio she is wanting, so that should and will come into play when its time to take photos!'

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    I would recommend finding a less busy location and not cropping in as tight on her face...if she is wanting to add to her portfolio (modeling I assuming) anyone considering hiring her is going to want to see more of her...just a thought for next time..
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    imo neither of the photos are very flattering. Good new is that nothing is really wrong in a major way..bad new is nothing is really right in major way either...just little off on models expression (lack of it), lighting (a little blown), sharpness and cropping.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    It could be me (I'm just on a little laptop right now) but in the first picture it appears as if her eyes are quite blurry. The focus might be the tip of the nose?