Options

37 Megapixel Leica S2

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited October 18, 2008 in Cameras
I can't seem to find much about this online but there's a feature on it in the UK Professional Photographer magazine.

Some of the specs are:-

37 Megapixel
30x45mm Sensor
3 inch LCD
Weatherproof Seals

Camera is bit larger than a Canon 5D, a bit smaller than the 1ds MK III and is accompanied by a range of nine new lenses.

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited September 22, 2008
    Leica and Sinar seem to be playing well together. Rumor has it that this new Leica may be a Sinar "M" with a new Leica mount. Just a rumor I'm afraid. Maybe something will show this week?

http://www.sinarbron.com/sinar/digital/mp1.php
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    There's actually a full report and picture of it in the magazine, strange as it doesn't appear to exist in internet land ne_nau.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
  • Options
    Very cool. clap.gif

I hope they never post the price ('cause it'll just make me cry. :cry)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    So if the sensor is 56% larger than FF does that mean the 24mm lens is actually a 15mmrolleyes1.gif
    And what do you call that? Porc factor? headscratch.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    rukvarukva Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    Wow, 20,000 Euros, too rich for this amateur little black duck :(:
  • Options
    rukva wrote:
    Wow, 20,000 Euros, too rich for this amateur little black duck :(:

See, it makes me cry. :cry:cry rolleyes1.gif
    mwink.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Well I suppose it does beg the question...why do we need to stick to 35mm format? Makes really no difference any longer: no film carriers, no loaders, no slide mounts, no negative holders, etc etc...only think keep us at 35mm dimensions is tradition (or habit). (maybe cost has a tiny bit to do with it too)
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Well I suppose it does beg the question...why do we need to stick to 35mm format? Makes really no difference any longer: no film carriers, no loaders, no slide mounts, no negative holders, etc etc...only think keep us at 35mm dimensions is tradition (or habit). (maybe cost has a tiny bit to do with it too)

While there is no need to restrict either our purchases or our thoughts to any singular format, the 35mm film format was the most successful of all formats ever invented for photographic purposes.

The proliferation of lenses and accessories that could carry over from the 35mm film format manufactuers into the digital era is part of the attraction.

The dSLR formats that are getting the biggest market share are the crop 1.6x, crop 1.5x, crop 2x and crop 1.3x, but there are also the "full-frame" (as in 35mm film frame, 24mm x 36mm) and the "medium" digital formats that are evolving.

I'm just glad that we have choices and options and that, as a class of tools, digital photography is getting more and more affordable and the image quality is getting progressively better at the same time (by many measures.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    cmason wrote:

I agree! I am interested to see how things keep transforming over the next 10-20 years. I wouldn't be surprised if things were vastly different from now.
  • Options
    rukvarukva Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    See, it makes me cry. :cry:cry rolleyes1.gif
    mwink.gif
    :cry:cry:cry Yes, brings tears to my eyes too, sorry about thatrolleyes1.gif

On Another note I wonder if they used the Leica to take it's picture in the above URL?headscratch.gif

What about the Canon 21MP 5DMKII for those that already have the L series of lenses?

Don't get me wrong I would dearly love the Leica, perhaps a quick whip around dgring and buy it for "rukva" for his birthday?clap.gifclap:D:D
  • Options
    iamprof40iamprof40 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    THe Leica S system
    see:
    http://www.s.leica-camera.com/leica-s-system/
    looks like the R went to the S
    I hate to think about the cost.....
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    I wish I had the money for this camera. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    I never touched or feel Leica and Carl Ziess but their names and style are so attractive makes me want to purchase their products headscratch.gif

Cool system eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    I merged these 2 threads because they really do discuss the same camera and this way everybody gets to see my "sensitive" side (as I cry about the price.) :cry
    ziggy53