First Olympus Micro Four Thirds Camera

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in Cameras
In addition to the announcement of the new Olympus DSLR (see), Olympus also announced their first micro four thirds camera. This looks vastly different to the Panasonic micro four thirds camera. The panasonic resembles a DSLR while the Olympus resembles a high-end consumer compact camera (but also has a retro look to it). I am interested to see which will be more popular:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208olympus_micro_four_thirds.asp

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 22, 2008
    Now that camera, the Olympus version, looks more like what I envisioned. No pretense, just competence and function. I might be interested in one of those. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Now that camera, the Olympus version, looks more like what I envisioned. No pretense, just competence and function. I might be interested in one of those. thumb.gif

I agree. This is much more what I thought would be coming.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    This could be my first DSLR. naughty.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    I wish this had been around when I was first looking at getting into a higher end camera. :bluduh
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    Needs to come in a black colored leather wrapping.
    Throw in a little EVF or a viewfinder on the left corner like a range finder and Hmmm, looks tasty.

If it's relatively cheap, I may have to consider selling my Minox Leica for one of these.

I suspect that it'll come in various colors for the leather wraping. Kinda cool, you can get tan, brown, black, red, pink, blue.......
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I suspect that it'll come in various colors for the leather wraping. Kinda cool, you can get tan, brown, black, red, pink, blue.......

I think you are right. Olympus is known for offering virtually all their point and shoot cameras in various colors. Would be nice to see that here as well.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    I think you are right. Olympus is known for offering virtually all their point and shoot cameras in various colors. Would be nice to see that here as well.

Im thinking black leather with a 12 or 14mm pancake...
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Now this looks nice. If it inherits the AF (and *other*) performance characteristics of the Panasonic (bearing in mind the number of patentable breakthroughs Panasonic seems to have made) then it is very exciting. Imagine getting past security goons at an event or exhibit with something that looks like a toy but can produce DSLR standard results and higher sensitivity performance that only Fuji can can dream of (oops).
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    rangefinderish?
    Yes-nice and pocketable which means lots of uses.

I wonder whether its too much to ask if old rangefinder lenses could be made to fit-lots of them out there just asking to be resurrected and prices are getting better all the time.

One of these with a fast Voigtlander/Nikon/Leica could be a winning combination.

Also a clip on viewfinder with framelines could also be a useful attachment.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.