5DmkII video basics?

mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited September 23, 2008 in Cameras
I've not shot video in many years. What are some of on-scene logistics on using the video mode in the 5DmkII? Based on this article I guess you need to transfer 800 Mbps or so. That seems to surpass Wifi.

Comments

• mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    So is this a question with an obvious answer, or do folks just not know. I mean, I've seen a lot of hype about the 5DmkII's video, but I'm not clear on how to store it. Carry a hard drive on your belt? I'm wondering if this requires so much storage, as to amount to no more than a novelty for most amateurs.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    It's all new. You'll probably need some patience :D

Vincent Laforet, our new best friend, has posted a ton in his blog, have a look http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/23/behind-the-scenes-video/

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com

:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    I've not shot video in many years. What are some of on-scene logistics on using the video mode in the 5DmkII? Based on this article I guess you need to transfer 800 Mbps or so. That seems to surpass Wifi.

The short and quick answer is that much video now is "captured" in what would normally be a "presentation" video format. This keeps the bandwidth down to amounts that can be stored on flash media cards.

The 5D MKII is using a high-compression and lossy codec. In order to edit the video it has to be both decompressed and intermediate frames need to be generated from the surrounding media. It has only become practical to edit this sort of video in recent years. (It requires tremendous computational horsepower.)

It may be possible to record the video direct from the camera onto external storage in a different format and codec with discrete frames more suitable for editing, but I haven't seen any documentation to know if that is supported.

For now, it's just amazing what the 5D MKII is capable of and that is amply demonstrated by Vincent's video. Just splendid. thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums