UNLV Women's Soccer

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited September 25, 2008 in Sports
First soccer game I've ever shot. I used my Sigma 170-500 which was great as far as reach but the focus was a bit too slow at times. Using the camera on burst mode helped a little.

More shots in my gallery.

What do you think?

378008859_yikUh-L-1.jpg

378008613_VDvqg-L-1.jpg

378007763_KnPQE-L-1.jpg

378005184_T7Ddv-L-1.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Took off the watermarks, hopefully that will get some viewers to comment. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    3 looks a little hot. did you shoot raw? Maybe you can back it off a bit. #'s 15 are unneccessary to the shot. Crop it verticle.

I'd crop 4 verticle too. Perhaps you can bring a bit more detail out in their faces in post too.

You might try to bring out more facial detail in #2 as well.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
    edited September 23, 2008
    donek wrote:
    3 looks a little hot. did you shoot raw? Maybe you can back it off a bit. #'s 15 are unneccessary to the shot. Crop it verticle.

I'd crop 4 verticle too. Perhaps you can bring a bit more detail out in their faces in post too.

You might try to bring out more facial detail in #2 as well.

I did shoot raw, i'll see what I can do about the overblown shot.

Thanks for commenting.
    ~ Lisa
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    Shot 1 is a great capture. Nicely done.
    Shots 3 & 4 IMO have too much deadspace - which is why I'm not a huge fan of shooting in portrait orientation - great for tackles and some goalie saves. But unless you're good enough to shoot partial body crops out-of-camera for headers and such - most shots have much more vertical component than horizontal.

Also - a suggestion - work on some levels and try the dodge tool for correcting faces on some of these. You have some nice captures but the faces are in shadow. Not a big fan of shadow recovery for whole image - (dodge tool is a favorite if it just needs a little work) as it does funky things to colors. But try some different techniques to bring faces out of the shadows on shots 2 & 4.

Nicely done.
    Thank you for the comments johng. It was my first time ever with soccer - I hope to go back and use the tips I get here in Oct when they are back for home games.

I have not taken anything into PS yet, all adjustments were done in Lightroom. I'm still a novice at doing anything with curves and will take your tips and work on a couple of these shots in PS.
    ~ Lisa
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    hmmmm.....I don't see a lot of "dead space" I like #4 with the goalie in the background. Nice shots.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    hmmmm.....I don't see a lot of "dead space"

The dead space is areas there isn't any action going on. #3 and #4 could stand to be cropped tighter. They are great shots if you want to show parents their kids are playing, but for strictly sports shots, they would be better if they were cropped.
  • RLJSlickRLJSlick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    Great job, lots of action, but I agree I might have cropped it a bit more, or maybe try to get the goalie more into focus. Very good job, very sharp.