Be honest

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in People
How will this picture look as a 16x24? The cliet wants the first 2 photos in that large of a format.

360243801_sFnhF-L.jpg

and this one

360234205_YUaWf-L.jpg

Is there anyway I can put their smiles on this one, b/c the other one is a little blurry.

360233864_MLrxi-L.jpg
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Wow you get bonus points for what looks like great flash use on that first one! clap.gif

Obviously, the customer gets whatever they want - but I think the second picture is the candidate for a big blow up. Despite being a little blurry if there is enough data in the original I think you can make it work. Smiles, in my opinion, are more important than a small technical glitch.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    !
    Nice shots.

Personally, I think that if you moved them 3 feet to the right in #1, that hot spot on dad's head and standing daughter's head would not be there, and it would be a much more balanced image lighting wise.

Your location is awesome. I like the walls.

Nice stuff.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    I think either or would look great blown up...great for your wallet!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Lovely i think 2nd is very nice. In 1st i would have cropped the stream 1 inch from bottom and 1 inch from left side
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    I think #2 looks pretty good myself.
  • KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    I made the pictures a little larger
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    Is there anyway I can put their smiles on this one, b/c the other one is a little blurry.

What smiles? ne_nau.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
    The little smiles they did have, lol. They twins did not want their pictures done.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    The setting for these is pretty. I think I would crop the first a bit more, as they seem a bit small in relation to their surroundings. The second shot has very slightly better expressions than the third, but mostly just on the lady. Honestly, I don't think I would have shown them the second shot, because of the blur/softness, but this is something I tend to be rather picky about (maybe too much so). But perhaps some sort of treatment would make that less of an issue? It's hard for me to say (someone else would probably know better) if a 16x20 would make the blur worse or not really matter. At that size, you don't stand right next to it to look at it, so ???
    Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    #2 is way too blurry to blow up,
    I like #1 but a crop will help, as was mentioned bottom and left to hel bring them at least to the third mark.
    As for the moving of the smiles, you'll have to move more than that because they moved too much between shots, but it's actually really easy if you have cs3 the feature is probably in cs2 as well.
    Open both images in PS click "V" to get the move tool then drag one image onto the other. Shift click on the BG so both layers are selected, then goto edit "Auto align layers" after that you create a layer mask on the top one and paint away what you don't want.
    If it was just a matter of the smiles then it'd be really easy, but with the movement it will take more work, and since #2 is OOF you'll probably end up with a not so good result.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    #1 needs a major crop and I don't like the lighting much. #2 is waaay soft. #3 is sharper but still not really doin it for me...but the customer gets what they want *shrug*
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    Too soft
    Both two and three look too soft. I think the camera was focusing on the wall...it appears very sharp. Three is not as soft as two...but still too soft for enlargements...in my opinion.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    The problem was that the little girls wouldn't hold still, so the parents were trying to keep them still and looking at me. Which caused everyone to have some sort of movement. I asked if we could redo the pictures for the ones they wanted enlarged, but not sure if they will.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    The problem was that the little girls wouldn't hold still, so the parents were trying to keep them still and looking at me. Which caused everyone to have some sort of movement. I asked if we could redo the pictures for the ones they wanted enlarged, but not sure if they will.

What ISO and aperture were you using? I'm thinking using a wide aperture and bumping the ISO (and therefore shutter speed) should have enabled a sharper shot. I've learned I'd much rather deal with a bit of ISO noise than blur from movement.
    Elaine

Elaine wrote:
    What ISO and aperture were you using? I'm thinking using a wide aperture and bumping the ISO (and therefore shutter speed) should have enabled a sharper shot. I've learned I'd much rather deal with a bit of ISO noise than blur from movement.

i didnt even use flash bc I wanted natural light on the stone ones. I really wish I could redo them... But I have to let them get the photos they want
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    i didnt even use flash bc I wanted natural light on the stone ones. I really wish I could redo them... But I have to let them get the photos they want

Katie,

I just sent you a PM.
    Elaine

• BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Maybe it's just me, but the mom's big foot hanging down off the wall does nothing for me!!!!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    I agree with the concensus that #1 needs to be cropped down by quite a bit. Having the subjects much more in the foreground would have really helped this shot. Blowing it up as is would make for a huge picture of scenery with little tiny people stranded off to the right of the frame. Try cropping it and showing it to the clients, see if the like it better. #2 and #3 are too soft to be enlarged to that size IMO.

But of course if they are happy with the shots, finish up and move on! :)
    373506602_9boTd-L.jpg

373504779_K8rvD-L.jpg

373492295_dRxY5-L.jpg

373510470_eeAYC-L.jpg
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Want to be honest so please don't think I'm being mean, ok? The color balance is significantly off on these. Printed bigger will not make them look better. The overall treatment is much too plastic looking with accentuated blur. The focus is much too soft. A soft shot will look even softer in larger print. The poses are not very good and don't allow viewing room...everyone is crammed together in a vertical line. If the client wants them, then it's their choice but someone selling work should first learn how to tackle the basics of photography....focus, aperture and shutter speed. Work on those things first Katie because trying to "fix" them in post processing will not work. You must get it right "in camera" to begin with.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Hi Katie,

First to answer your question. In my opinion they will not print with acceptable quality.

When printing at larger sizes it's absolutely critical to start with a clean sharp image. The larger the print the more noticeable each, and every flaw.

I went to your Smugmug site, and took a look at the series, and found all were taken with (what I consider) very low shutter speeds ( 1/25 to 1/80 at 100 mm or so) causing camera shake. I know of no way to fix this.

Not sure why you couldn't get a higher shutter speed at ISO 400, and f 5.6?

If the lighting conditions regulate you to these settings, I would have definitely used fill flash.

I also would have tried f8 to gain a little more DOF. In one image I liked with the two little girls on the slide, the front one is in focus, but the one just behind, (by inches) is not.

Also I was able to access your original image size, and download it. This isn't a good idea. Many, as you will find out, will simply download the original file, and print themselves.

If you are going to be selling larger prints, I would recommend printing some test images so you can get an idea of what to expect.

Sam
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Katie,

First to answer your question. In my opinion they will not print with acceptable quality.

When printing at larger sizes it's absolutely critical to start with a clean sharp image. The larger the print the more noticeable each, and every flaw.

I went to your Smugmug site, and took a look at the series, and found all were taken with (what I consider) very low shutter speeds ( 1/25 to 1/80 at 100 mm or so) causing camera shake. I know of no way to fix this.

Not sure why you couldn't get a higher shutter speed at ISO 400, and f 5.6?

If the lighting conditions regulate you to these settings, I would have definitely used fill flash.

I also would have tried f8 to gain a little more DOF. In one image I liked with the two little girls on the slide, the front one is in focus, but the one just behind, (by inches) is not.

Also I was able to access your original image size, and download it. This isn't a good idea. Many, as you will find out, will simply download the original file, and print themselves.

If you are going to be selling larger prints, I would recommend printing some test images so you can get an idea of what to expect.

Sam

Thank you Sam... I didn't notice that they weren't protected. And to be honest, I really don't know why I had it at a lower shutter speed. Scott has told me before to use no less than 125, and usually.... I stick to that and adjust my ISO and flash before I do the shutter. And I had a gut feeling this wouldn't be a good photo to blow up, I wasn't even expecting the family to want a large one... Especially that size. I have been trying to talk with them and get them to let me redo the photo's they want with the hope that their little girls might be in the mood to do the pictures since they know me a little better. ( I just did their older sister's wedding reception this past Saturday in which I got to play with the little ones more. )

Thanks
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    I went to the gallery and personally I like the 1st photo in the gallery #2847 the best. Seems to be sharper and the lighting is nice. Some straightening and cropping would make it a spectacular photo!