Options

Buyers remorse....

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in Journeys
...not. Took my son to his first Major league baseball game. Happened to be one of the last at Yankee stadium. When I decided to do this trip (from Oregon), I was worried about the cost and time away from school for my 6 year old son. I was also concerned about the his attention span over the course of a 9 inning game, not to mention we were attending 2 games. I was worried I was going to get "I'm bored" around the 3rd inning of the first game.

By the time we wrapped up both games and were dead tired and leaving first thing in the morning, there was no buyers remorse here. All it took was the answer he gave me when asked "what was the best part of the trip"? Of which he replied, (in a half sleep tone of voice) "being at the games with you daddy". I still choke up just writing this.

I'll add a note here. Be warned, this was a tear jerker for me. During the first game, we (my neighbor, who supplied the game tickets through his work, me and my son) were hoping for a game ball. It had been the main subject since we boarded the airplane to start this venture. After all, we were sitting about 12 rows back from the third base line just outside of the dugout. Prime foul ball territory. So ends the first game, no game ball. Second day. We were early enough to watch batting practice. So I dragged my son to the outfield fence and waited, and waited and waited. No ball. Just before game time, a gentleman I had got to know along the outfield fence managed to obtain a ball from one of the opposing team members during their warm up. He handed it to my son and said "here ya go". I almost peed myself. He had no idea what he just did. That alone made this trip. I later found him and bought him a beer. I didn't know what else to do besides hug and tell him with tears what that meant to a father who traveled 3 thousand miles with a 6 year boy, to get a game ball at a Yankee game in the "house that Babe built". So when my son told me about the best part of the trip, and it wasn't about the game ball, but had to do with his dear old dad, yeah...no buyers remorse here. Enjoy the pics from our journey.

One more note. No back packs were/are allowed in Yankee stadium, so I left the DSLR at home. These were done with a SD1000 p&s, hence some blur.

Before the start of the first game
377987345_bHe4z-L.jpg

After a few innings, had to do the jersey thing...
377988250_epD7j-L.jpg

On the way to the second game

377988891_T6pxH-L.jpg

Going for that game ball
377988344_V4idS-L.jpg

The ball!!! (with neighbor)
377988500_oHrHM-L.jpg

Doesn't get better than this
377988059_CpwkV-L.jpg
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    A few more notes
    My son Kyle hung in there for all 18 innings. There were bases loaded, some home runs, lots of cheering. He ate up the whole thing. At one point, ARod was up to plate with the bases loaded and his little bladder couldn't wait. He rushed me to take him to the bathroom and back so we wouldn't miss anything. He couldn't wait to wear his jersey to school today. I was a little hesitant, but what the hey, I created a little baseball fan. Good times.....
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    other than the yankee hat...:D

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    That third picture is priceless--just awesome. I am expecting a daughter in December (my first child) and got a little choked up just reading. O, and she WILL be a baseball fan!! An oriole fan!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Great story! Love that third pic. My son is just 7 and loves to watch and attend baseball games with his daddy too, so I understood where you were coming from. Congrats on the great memories!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited September 24, 2008
    What a great event to attend. Lucky kid too thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    These are very nice i love that 3rd image a lot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery