Options

Something Old, Something New

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
P-51 Mustang and F-22 Raptor at the Oceana NAS Air Show. C&C welcomed.

377587194_WhaLU-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 22, 2008
    Perhaps a slower shutter speed would have shown some motion "blur" on the prop on the P-51.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    Nice capture....Thanks for sharing.......thumb.gif
  • Options
    captain78 wrote:
    Perhaps a slower shutter speed would have shown some motion "blur" on the prop on the P-51.
    You mean like this :D

377591922_9cYUX-L-1.jpg

I had the shutter speed on the previous shot cranked up for stopping the F-22. The flyby with the 2 of them caught me off guard and I forgot to drop the shutter speed. I guess I have a reason to return next year! mwink.gif

Thanks for the comment,
  • Options
    Azzaro wrote:
    Nice capture....Thanks for sharing.......thumb.gif

Thanks Azzaro,
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Hot shot Travis. Very nice. thumb.gif
    I would have gone for the shot over prop blur also.

Seems the Raptor is often seen flying with the P51's at airshows.
    Not forgetting to mention other aircraft as well. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    DaddyO wrote:
    Hot shot Travis. Very nice. thumb.gif
    I would have gone for the shot over prop blur also.

Seems the Raptor is often seen flying with the P51's at airshows.
    Not forgetting to mention other aircraft as well. :D

I'll tell you that watching the Raptor perform was downright terrifying. I'm sure weonly saw a fraction of what it could do but the shear thought of being on the wrong side of that plane is nightmarish. Here's another of the Mustang with prop blur....

377575295_5sTte-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    Very nice work, Travis!
    Travis wrote:
    I'll tell you that watching the Raptor perform was downright terrifying. I'm sure weonly saw a fraction of what it could do but the shear thought of being on the wrong side of that plane is nightmarish.

I saw the Raptor demo for the first time earlier this year, and I was dumbfounded. I'm a former military pilot, and have been around airplanes my whole life. All I could say after seeing the Raptor is that it's not an airplane - airplanes can't do what I saw the Raptor do! eek7.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    Travis wrote:
    I'll tell you that watching the Raptor perform was downright terrifying. I'm sure we only saw a fraction of what it could do but the shear thought of being on the wrong side of that plane is nightmarish. Here's another of the Mustang with prop blur....

We figured prop blur was in your bag of tricks. Both additional shots are nice.
    Did you give a special PP treatment to this last one? Its a way sweet pic.
    Was that your 50 - 500 used on this outing? :D

Haven't seen the Raptor in action personally but I have heard that it is
    awesome and loud.
    Michael
  • Options
    moose135 wrote:
    Very nice work, Travis!

I saw the Raptor demo for the first time earlier this year, and I was dumbfounded. I'm a former military pilot, and have been around airplanes my whole life. All I could say after seeing the Raptor is that it's not an airplane - airplanes can't do what I saw the Raptor do! eek7.gif

I definitely agree. Planes are not supposed to do things that the Raptor was doing. It was amazing.

More images are in my Oceana NAS Air Show gallery if your interested.
  • Options
    DaddyO wrote:
    We figured prop blur was in your bag of tricks. Both additional shots are nice.
    Did you give a special PP treatment to this last one? Its a way sweet pic.
    Was that your 50 - 500 used on this outing? :D

Haven't seen the Raptor in action personally but I have heard that it is
    awesome and loud.

It was the Bigma 50-500mm. I love that lens! After making the initial journey from the parking lot to the show, I got turned back for having a camera bag. When I returned my bag to my truck, I also left my monopod. So I ended up handholding that monster for 6 hours. Believe me, it begins to wear you down after a while. :D
  • Options
    tpowertpower Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Travis,

For head-on shots like this one, it is not too hard to get a "full 360" blur with an even slower shutter speed because the plane is not moving around in the field of view:

404303904_UV9Pg-L.jpg

This was f/8, 1/80sec with a Canon 100-400mm @ 400mm on a 1.6 FOVCF Canon XTi. This is a heavily cropped image.

If you look at my recent Wings Over Houston gallery, you will see that I did not follow this advice nearly often enough!

Happy Shooting!
    Tommy
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    I've seen the Raptor fly on several ocassions. The most amazing thing it does, to me, is hang in the air relatively motionless. Blows my mind.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    tpower wrote:
    Travis,

For head-on shots like this one, it is not too hard to get a "full 360" blur with an even slower shutter speed because the plane is not moving around in the field of view:

This was f/8, 1/80sec with a Canon 100-400mm @ 400mm on a 1.6 FOVCF Canon XTi. This is a heavily cropped image.

If you look at my recent Wings Over Houston gallery, you will see that I did not follow this advice nearly often enough!

Happy Shooting!
    Tommy

Nice Tommy. Funny how you think of these things after the shoot is over! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    I've seen the Raptor fly on several ocassions. The most amazing thing it does, to me, is hang in the air relatively motionless. Blows my mind.

Tom

Me too and I think it scared me worse than seeing it blaze past. Just thinking of the damage it sould unleash sitting almost motionless and then a second later be out of sight....
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    P-51 Mustang and F-22 Raptor at the Oceana NAS Air Show. C&C welcomed.

Good shot Travis, looks a tad soft to me, but no one else has said that in any of the other comments, so I don't know why they appear soft to me??

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin