Options

the dof preview button

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 1, 2005 in Technique
maybe its somehwere already explained on here but figured id just ask....
when ever i push that button i never see anything differnt than what i already see in the viewfinder..... its true i dont wear my glasses when i shoot but maybe im not doing something right..... so in "laymans" terms how / when and why do "we" use the button??

troy

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    maybe its somehwere already explained on here but figured id just ask....
    when ever i push that button i never see anything differnt than what i already see in the viewfinder..... its true i dont wear my glasses when i shoot but maybe im not doing something right..... so in "laymans" terms how / when and why do "we" use the button??

troy

It depends on how your camera's set. The button will close down the lens to the aperture that you have set either manually or automagically. If it's set to the wide open aperture, then you won't see a difference, cause there's no where for the button to go. But if you have it set to f16 or 22, you'll see a huge difference. One difference will be that the view will get much darker. The other is that the smaller the aperture, the larger the depth of field. The button allows you to preview what that depth of field will be before you take the shot, and adjust your exposure controls accordingly.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    that would make sense for in the "past" ive almost exclusively used the widest aperature - thanx!!!

troy
    DavidTO wrote:
    It depends on how your camera's set. The button will close down the lens to the aperture that you have set either manually or automagically. If it's set to the wide open aperture, then you won't see a difference, cause there's no where for the button to go. But if you have it set to f16 or 22, you'll see a huge difference. One difference will be that the view will get much darker. The other is that the smaller the aperture, the larger the depth of field. The button allows you to preview what that depth of field will be before you take the shot, and adjust your exposure controls accordingly.