Nikon D100 advice before purchase

redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited September 23, 2008 in Cameras
Hi

A complete stranger I just met at a car show recently upgraded from a D100 to a D300 and now has offered me the D100 body @ $400.00. He claims the actuations = 20,000 + (he claims there is no way to get an accurate count) Included is a battery base pack and that's just about it. I asked about problems--he claims there are none. Now I presently use a D80 and I thought this might be a good back up camera which I can use for a couple years and turn around and sell it for what I pay when I make the jump to the D300 or better.

In your opinion are there things I should know about this model which wouldn't/would make it a good back up and at this price is it a okay/good/great deal?

Thanks..

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 22, 2008
    At KEH they currently list a Nikon D100 camera with battery and charger in EX+ condition for $339USD.

Most Nikon cameras do embed the total actuations as part of the EXIF information which can be read by some EXIF viewers. I am not certain about the D100.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    I do believe that the D100 doesn't put the shutter count into the EXIF, my D1h does not. Ask the seller to send you a shot that has not been modified, with full EXIF.
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    I don't really understand why you would buy this. Keep your D80 and buy some glass, or save the cash for a new body.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    Save your money for lenses. If you want a backup, get a new D40.
  • redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    I will confirm that the D100 does NOT store shutter count in the EXIF. I've owned 2.

And $400 is a bit high. But I also concur with the other voices that your money would be better spent on some newer lenses, or put that money towards another D80. Really nice having a backup the same as your current... Don't forget that everything depreciates.

Having the benefit of time and some sound suggestions, I've decided against this purchase...I think the money would be better spent on glass and if I get in a situation where a back up camera would be a good idea...a D40 is affordable.

Cheers!