o SH%$

erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited September 23, 2008 in Cameras
I was uploading images from my 40D (canon) and it flat stopped uploading...it said on the computer that it became disconnected. I reconnected and tried again...nothing. Now, i can't even get the camera to snap a pic. The LCD screen will not function. I can still manipulate the controls via the small screen where the aperture and shutter speed are, but that's it. No pictuer taking, and nothing on the LCD by way of viewing or lookiing at menu items. PLEASE HELP

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 22, 2008
    Take the main battery and the backup battery out for a couple of hours and see if the camera resets.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Take the main battery and the backup battery out for a couple of hours and see if the camera resets.

Huge sigh of relief. I have had the battery back on since day one--and i just took it out and put it back in and we're back in business. Not cool!!!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    erson83 wrote:
    Huge sigh of relief. I have had the battery back on since day one--and i just took it out and put it back in and we're back in business. Not cool!!!
    Glad to hear all is well with the world for you again.clap.gifivar

All computers need to be reset once in a while. Just be glad your camera isn't running windoze!rolleyes1.gif
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    Will it better to use card reader? So that we can save the battery.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    Will it better to use card reader? So that we can save the battery.
    It's almost always a better idea to read the cards via a card reader than through the camera and not just to conserve battery charge. From the most simplistic point of view, a camera is built to make photographs and a card reader is designed to read data from a memory card. It's when one starts using these "Jack of all trades" functions that one encounters difficulties.
  • jjvfxjjvfx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    It's almost always a better idea to read the cards via a card reader than through the camera and not just to conserve battery charge. From the most simplistic point of view, a camera is built to make photographs and a card reader is designed to read data from a memory card. It's when one starts using these "Jack of all trades" functions that one encounters difficulties.

I agree a card readers sole purpose is to read memory cards!
    Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EOS 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    erson83 wrote:
    I was uploading images from my 40D (canon) and it flat stopped uploading...it said on the computer that it became disconnected. I reconnected and tried again...nothing. Now, i can't even get the camera to snap a pic. The LCD screen will not function. I can still manipulate the controls via the small screen where the aperture and shutter speed are, but that's it. No pictuer taking, and nothing on the LCD by way of viewing or lookiing at menu items. PLEASE HELP

this is weird...I had the same thing happen to my 40D while in the middle of taking pictures. I could see the aperture and shutter speed LCD, but no "pics remaining" or LCD. Turned it on/off, changed lens, CF card. The only thing that worked was physically taking the battery out and putting back in.

Is it just me or are there a lot of "weirdnesses" being reported with the 40D?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    urbanaries wrote:

Not here. I've taken thousands of pictures with my 40D and never once had a hiccup. I'm probably pretty hard on it too, changing lenses a lot, dusty and hot desert conditions, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of battery and flash cards are you folks who are having the problems using? I'm using Canon batteries and SanDisk cards.

-joel
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    kdog wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of battery and flash cards are you folks who are having the problems using? I'm using Canon batteries and SanDisk cards.

-joel

Can't speak for OP, but I use 2 Canon BP-511s in a BG-E2 Grip. Sandisk Extreme III cards. I've just had it happen to me twice in two months so I wouldn't say it's a common occurrence.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    urbanaries wrote:
    this is weird...I had the same thing happen to my 40D while in the middle of taking pictures. I could see the aperture and shutter speed LCD, but no "pics remaining" or LCD. Turned it on/off, changed lens, CF card. The only thing that worked was physically taking the battery out and putting back in.

It happens to me also. The battery "dye" suddenly without warning. Recover it by manually pull out the battery and re-insert it.
    The main cause is the contact problem, get a rubber (Pencil Eraser) clean the battery contact on both the camera and battery. But remember to blow away the debris before close the battery compartment cover.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    urbanaries wrote:
    Can't speak for OP, but I use 2 Canon BP-511s in a BG-E2 Grip. Sandisk Extreme III cards. I've just had it happen to me twice in two months so I wouldn't say it's a common occurrence.
    This appears to be a behavior similar to what was experienced a couple of years ago with Canon 20D and 3rd party lens, particularly Sigma lenses. Only then, it was reporting as Err 99. Solution was to remove the BP-511, wait a couple of seconds and re-install the battery.

I'm not saying the 40D issue is a Sigma thing, just that the behavior and solutions to ring a bell.ne_nau.gif