Senior Pics

BrieyasmomBrieyasmom Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited September 24, 2008 in People
Ok this is my first post but I took some senior pictures for a girl that was beautiful and want to have some cc about what I could do better / lighting etc... I am just starting out with learning to have an eye for pics and editing.
376312369_H7yHG-S.jpg
376326246_fCALt-Ti.jpg
376322499_CQpyu-S.jpg
376320195_JbH7L-S.jpg
376320391_UgkqF-S.jpg
376643675_r22Re-S.jpg
376317902_FmpD9-S.jpg
376314195_tDjcs-S.jpg
]
well i hope the pictures show up :) and that I didnt put to many . I would love to hear any feedback and what kind of poses do you do for guys. I have done one guys pics and ran out of ideas of 'guy' poses.

Thanks Heather

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    That first photo is a sure keeper!

Posing can be so elusive, yet some of us seem to find it easily. For kids I think it helps to have them in on the location choice, and find out what stirs them. Personailty plays a role, but do they feel comfortable expressing some of their individuality?

I shot a few kids last season and some floated like doves and some were stiff as robots. Very strange to witness the disparity.

As for the lighting, like I've heard before it is a matter of taste. And just like recipes, I might suggest you look, look and look some more at different sites and photos and find what it is you like about the lighting.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    :jawdropWOW! Not only is your subject gorgeous, you have a way of using the camera that really brings out the subjects natural beauty! I see myself setting aside some time in the near future to flip through your galleries and get some ideas.

One of the biggest things I need work on his working with my subjects and learning how to pose them in a flattering way. You have this down rock solid!

Congratulations on some great photos!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    Very nice poses!
    That last one would have been absolutely gorgeous if you didn't have those long grasses cutting off her face!
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    Hi Heather,

A couple of general comments. I've looked at the rest of this gallery and I think you've captured some great images. I'm sure your client is very happy, but you came here to improve them even more.

First, where I'm not feeling the love, is in some of the cropping. What I don't know for sure is whether these were the original in camera crops or cropped in post. So maybe these were cropped exactly how you want them in post... There are many photos that are cropped pretty tight, even for 4x6. So when your client wants an enlargement to 8x10 for example, we are going to potentially have to crop out some meaningful body parts. :D

The first image is a good example. A lovely portrait that could very well be a choice to enlarge.An 8x10 in portrait mode will crop of the top and/or bottom. In this case, the head is already near the edge, so this means all the crop comes at the bottom. You will cut her off above the left wrist. A 5x7 will keep all of the left hand, except the finger that is pointing down ... oops. In your 3rd picture as an 8x10, she is likely going to end up toeless!

It's not that you can't print these in 8x12, but my experience is that most people want to fit it their photos into store bought frames. So in general, I like to shoot with extra space on the sides in landscape mode, and extra space above and below in portrait mode to give myself some room to crop.

A second general comment, is that straight on poses (head and shoulders square to the camera) aren't always the best. This senior can probably get away with it, but in my opinion, your images would be significantly improved with more body angle/head angle.

Image Specific Comments:

#1 - just a little niggly. I don't like the horizon line that leads into her eye. A lot of clients will not even notice this or be bothered by it, but watch for things the grow/poke out of the head.

#4 - I think she is too dead center and there is too much rail on the right. I find the rail a bit to strong an element.

#5 - I love the wood background and the bright colors. But when you see the slightly angled bottom edge of the wood, the image isn't straight on enough to look straight and not angled enough for the eye to truly know you are shooting from a very slight angle. I think this image has great possibilities from a more prominent angle!

#6 - A fun looking photo that I think has more possibilities. This is one of those straight on shots that I think neither flatters the subject or is saved by an great/interesting background. I don't know how tall this tree is or what it looks like, but why not try an unusual angle looking up the tree? The tree canopy might give a nice backlighting to the subject and you would have some sense of scale from the tree height. Just an idea.

#8 - I like environmental framing, but I'm just not a fan of covering the face.

As I said at the beginning, I think this was very well done. Hopefully my comments will let you see your images a bit differently.

Hope to see more posts!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    I agree with pretty much everything Brad had to say. In addition, I think most of them could use a bit more pop/punch/contrast.

On the otherhand, the tendency to center subjects, pose them with shoulders too square to the camera, and not leave enough room for popular crop ratios is a bigginer mistake that we have all fought through. I want to emphasize that I think that overall you did a GREAT job for a first time.

Be sure to check out my tips for seniors below!
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    My two cents
    Just to add a couple of thoughts...the third shot (head on hand, laying on stomach) is a classic pose...but you have to put her on an angle to avoid 'bunny ears' when her feet pop out of the top of her head. If you look at this pose from top photographers, you find it's always shot on an angle.

The second thought on that pose is that her head shouldn't really sit in her hand. Let it touch, but don't actually let any weight sit in her hand...that will avoid smushing (it's an industry term) her face and will make her hand seem more graceful.

I like 1 and 2 very much...

I'd like to see you crop in #4 a bit, as she seems to get a little lost in the composition...but the pose and use of her surroundings to frame her flatter her figure and appear very natural.

You should try to watch out for flat areas of unprotected flesh facing the camera - backs of hands, uncovered arms, thighs, knees, etc. 4 and 5 unduly bring the eye to her thighs and, unfortunately, make her seem heavier than she is.

Otherwise, nice model, nice lighting, nice selection of scenery, and overall nice posing!

- Gary.
  • BrieyasmomBrieyasmom Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    thanks everyone
    Thanks for all your feedback, you definitely gave me things to be aware of . Any help I can get :) Thanks !
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    I can't add anything to the C&C on the photos - Jeff is about as good as it gets for seniors. I think you did a wonderful job on these you posted here. There are a few in the gallery that I would have left on the editing room floor (a couple of strongly back-lit photos come to mind), but for the most part you have an excellent set here.

One thing you do need to do though is to better protect your photos. I visited all of your senior galleries and found that you have all sizes, including originals (which are not watermarked) enabled. This has the potential to cut into your print sales - just saying...