Fall is here!

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 29, 2008 in Landscapes
Anyone else pumped to go chasing some fall color??? :wink

Last year was the first time I tried to capture any of it on camera, hopefully I'll be able to sneak away a few times in the next 6-8 weeks and get some more now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing (in theory).

These are my favorites from last fall (most of these have never been posted here since I joined in Dgrin January). In two months I'll get to come back and see if I did any better :D

These are all from Washington State, most within 30 minutes of Seattle. It's not New England, but it ain't bad either.

211029132_r2qZn-L.jpg

#2:

208165161_9u4Y5-L-1.jpg

#3:

208097107_TUFfj-L-1.jpg

#4:

208121611_G9rbt-L-1.jpg

#5:

219459726_PCeB7-L.jpg

#6:

210780241_kbh6a-L.jpg

#7:

210779806_MPHb4-L.jpg

#8:

204721099_2HfFd-L-1.jpg

#9:

214345516_bemRk-L.jpg

#10:

260428583_Qf5eM-L.jpg

#11:

207813311_aGE3H-L-1.jpg

#12:

210777172_XzD9F-L.jpg

#13:

210778349_fgnpn-L.jpg

#14:

213626887_DK4Dw-L.jpg

#15:

223031866_7vNnp-L.jpg

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Nice set of images. thumb.gifthumb.gif Wow, hot, on #10. :D
    I wonder if I'll get anything decent this fall. I can only hope so
    and I will be trying for those places I can get to.
    Michael
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    Great shots. The leaves have not started to turn yet here in North Carolina. Hope I can get some as good as yours.
    Dale Childress
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    Great captures! The fall here in sweden hasnt come that far yet..But it´s on the move!

nr 10 is jawdropping!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    Ron,

Wow. Every one of these images is top notch. Great photography! Thanks for posting.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Ron,

Wow. Every one of these images is top notch. Great photography! Thanks for posting.

Oh, and I should say that we have some great color here in Missouri, but I've got about 6 weeks to wait for it.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    All these photos rock!! Number 5 and 14 are my favorite. Fall colors
    are not here yet in southern Ontario, Canada. Still waiting.

http://dwayneoakes.zenfolio.com

Take care Dwayne Oakes
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

There won't be much color at the lower elevations for awhile, but the higher elevations are already starting to get a little, I might head up to the mountains this weekend to scope it out.

That shot of Mt. Shuksan was about 2 weeks after peak last year (taken in the middle of October).
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    I remember fall, I think. headscratch.gif

Amazing photography, all of them. #8, 10, and 15 are among my favorites.

Regards,
    -joel
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    Wow. The colors are lovely. I have been trying to improve my color shooting. I feel very confident in my ability to shoot B&W, but shots like these make me want to do so much better. Fabulous!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    jeez Ron, im not sure if i want to go out now...i feel like just throwing up my hands and say'n i quit!:D

wonderful series, i can only hope to come close to what you have done.!
    bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    So beautiful iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • nachtmerrienachtmerrie Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    . . . Wow. Talk about eye-candy. clap.gif

They're all great photos. In the fourth image, I love how the red leaves stand out. And I love how the path seems to be leading into the fog. The eighth looks like a painting, very beautiful. And the fourteenth is so peaceful.

This is why autumn is my favorite season. =D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Unbelievable. Fabulous shots Ron.

I'm headed for upstate NY in October and hopefully I will be there during part of the peak. You set a standard that is nearly impossible to meet, but I'm inspired to try.

Dan
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    Ron, these are gorgeous! I'm hoping to sneak out and get some pictures of the colours over the next couple of weeks (although I've been seeing the colours for a few weeks already, so I hope that I haven't missed out on some good shots!).

I think #5 and #10 are my most favourite ones :)

-- Lisa P.
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    Wow! These are really nice! thumb.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
    Wow. The colors are lovely. I have been trying to improve my color shooting. I feel very confident in my ability to shoot B&W, but shots like these make me want to do so much better. Fabulous!

Thanks! I'm the same way with B&W, I can really appreciate good B&W photography, but my mind is hard-wired into color and it's hard to break out.
    jeez Ron, im not sure if i want to go out now...i feel like just throwing up my hands and say'n i quit!:D

wonderful series, i can only hope to come close to what you have done.!
    bowdown.gif

Thanks Aaron, if you quit, I suppose I can get your gear at a discount right? :D

Last year was the first time I had a weather sealed camera (Canon 1D M3) and a ball-head that was rugged and sturdy enough that I felt comfortable walking around with the camera attached to the tripod head (RRS BH-55). I actually got to the point where I looked forward to shooting in the rain, as it really brings out the colors.
    edited September 24, 2008
    . . . Wow. Talk about eye-candy. clap.gif

They're all great photos. In the fourth image, I love how the red leaves stand out. And I love how the path seems to be leading into the fog. The eighth looks like a painting, very beautiful. And the fourteenth is so peaceful.

This is why autumn is my favorite season. =D

Yeah, I love autumn too. I'm really looking forward to getting out this year, much more than last year (if I can sneak away from work long enough...).

For the fourth image, that was my first ever HDR shot, I actually cheated and arranged the leaves that way :D
    dlplumer wrote:
    Unbelievable. Fabulous shots Ron.

I'm headed for upstate NY in October and hopefully I will be there during part of the peak. You set a standard that is nearly impossible to meet, but I'm inspired to try.

Dan

Thanks Dan, looking forward to seeing the results!
  • streegshooterstreegshooter Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    I just fell in love with your pictures thumb.giflust
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Aaron, if you quit, I suppose I can get your gear at a discount right? :D

Last year was the first time I had a weather sealed camera (Canon 1D M3) and a ball-head that was rugged and sturdy enough that I felt comfortable walking around with the camera attached to the tripod head (RRS BH-55). I actually got to the point where I looked forward to shooting in the rain, as it really brings out the colors.

ive been on the verge of getting the tripod setup i really need....bh-55 not to big? ive been wondering if the bh-45 would do me ok....
    i know i need a heavier setup than i have now( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480279-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XB_804RC2_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html )
    Aaron Nelson
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,878 Major grins
    Great pictures thumb.gif

Everything is still reasonably green where I live, but the first fall colours are appearing. Weather forecast is sunny for next weekend, so should be interesting to go for a walk (if I can find some time).
  • MhorwitzMhorwitz Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    Wow all of those look amazing. I really like #4 and #8 the best
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    What a great collection!! I love how you have big and small, wide scenes and tiny little details all in one set. Swirling soft waters and prickly frost... wonderful! I'm really pumped for autumn now, since you show there's such beauty at all levels. thumb.gif
  • sodapopsodapop Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    A place I need to visit!
    I live near Portland will have to head up North soon to enjoy this beautiful spot!
    edited September 25, 2008
    ive been on the verge of getting the tripod setup i really need....bh-55 not to big? ive been wondering if the bh-45 would do me ok....
    i know i need a heavier setup than i have now( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480279-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XB_804RC2_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html )

I personally don't think the BH-55 is too big, it's rock solid and supports my largest lens (100-400) with no problem, and I have no fear at all that the camera will slide out and lug it over my shoulder without thinking twice.

My camera bag is usually pretty heavy though (4-5 lenses, one body, several filters, an occassional laptop, and a water bottle crammed in somewhere that I forget about until I get back to the trail head dying of thirst 4 hours later). I figure if I'm going to be lazy and stick with a 35mm camera I might as well make up for the weight difference in other ways :D
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Hi Ron,

#10 and #12 are just spectacular. Great shots.....

Cheers,
    schmoo wrote:
    What a great collection!! I love how you have big and small, wide scenes and tiny little details all in one set. Swirling soft waters and prickly frost... wonderful! I'm really pumped for autumn now, since you show there's such beauty at all levels. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo, and thanks for not banning me from the Landscapes forum for including a few macro and wildlife shots in the post :D
    shniks wrote:
    Hi Ron,

#10 and #12 are just spectacular. Great shots.....

Cheers,

Thanks Nikhil! I'll be at Mt. Shuksan (#10)/Mt. Baker tomorrow (if things go well), hopefully the fall colors are near peak, if not, it'll still make for a good sunset photo. I've been waiting to do a shot like #12 again but the weather has been sunny all month (bring on the rain!)
  • ktdidktdid Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    inCREDible shots.

Just fantastic.