How would I handle this one?

J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in Sports
Just looking for a little advice with this, my nephew plays on the eighth grade football team, so I emailed the AD of the school to ask if I could get on the sideline of the field...his reply:

I appreciate your email, but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to give you permission to photograph middle school students. Our yearbook staff is committed to take pictures at our middle school events for submission to the yearbook. Also, in order for me to give permission for taking pictures for anything other than personal use, ie parent taking a picture of their son or daughter, I would need consent. With over 1000 students at the middle school, a number of parents have signed agreements that their child not be placed in any publication, yearbook, internet, etc. I'm not able to make that list public, therefore you would not be able to distinguish b/t those who can and cannot be photographed. I hope my explanation has satisfied your request.
So I can't take pictures at a public event? Since I can't get on the sidelines for this, I'm still going to go and take some pictures from the public viewing area's. Just wondering how someone else would handle this.
-Joe Allen
My Smugmug Site

Comments

• cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    family guy wrote:
    Also, in order for me to give permission for taking pictures for anything other than personal use, ie parent taking a picture of their son or daughter, I would need consent.

Then that's what I'd do ....

I'd tell the AD that I'm going to be there exclusively to take shots of my nephew and that all the photos would be for "personal use" and that consent would not be a problem ....

Then have fun shooting your nephew ....

I don't know how you worded your e-mail to the AD, but it sounds as though the AD has the impression that you would be there to shoot the entire team as the game progressed and post those shots on-line for viewing/purchase (and you didn't tell US if that was your intent, either!).

So, if the AD's response is, in part, due to a misunderstanding of your intent, then just let him know that you're there only for your nephew. I think you probably can get on the sidelines, but it sounds as though you may have to clarify your "intent" ....
    family guy wrote:
    So I can't take pictures at a public event?

Does this "public event" take place at the school's field? This is just my opinion, but it's the school's obligation to keep students safe - and if that means controlling their sidelines to do that, then so be it. I don't have a problem with that. Would you want a (possible) child predator roaming the sidelines taking photos of your nephew with the rationale of "it's a public event" .... ? (And I realize that's a purely rhetorical question ..... )
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Just adding to what Cecil said. Absolutely a school may control who has access to the field. There is some debate to be had regarding taking photographs from OFF the field - especially for personal use. For instance, it's unlikely they could prevent a parent in the stands from taking photos. But they can absolutely prevent parents from being on the sidelines. So don't confuse the "right to take photos in public places" with the "right to be on the sidelines". Two separate issues.
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,875 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    cecilc wrote:
    ... but it sounds as though you may have to clarify your "intent" ....
    Reading all above postings, it looks something like this to me also.

Since 2004, my brother and I take pictures of the children's carnaval at our local primary school (all 6 to 12 year olds) and kindergarten. It's part of the complete carnaval happening in our village. (2008: http://steendorp.smugmug.com/Carnaval/443431 )

Teachers, staff and most parents know us, so it's no problem to take pictures of the event. But I can understand that some parents might have an issue. Especially since the whole "Dutroux" thing here in Belgium some years ago (and something similar in Austria earlier this year)
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    Keeping E'm Clear
    family guy wrote:
    Just looking for a little advice with this, my nephew plays on the eighth grade football team, so I emailed the AD of the school to ask if I could get on the sideline of the field...his reply:

So I can't take pictures at a public event? Since I can't get on the sidelines for this, I'm still going to go and take some pictures from the public viewing area's. Just wondering how someone else would handle this.

I honestly believe he just wants to keep his sidelines clear of parents period, good intentions or not.
    The Principal may not like parents there either. I asked to shoot local Varsity home games for practice on my dance photography and the AD so no to that but would let me shoot all the home JV/Freshman I want which works out great cause there are 2 games an evening. Then he said I could shoot all the away Varsity I wanted. The last two years he has been working on keeping the sidelines of Varsity home games clear. The parental deal I think is an easy way to say no without much explanation. I have had parents tell me I could shoot from the away side at home and he would never know. I don't do that I am allowed what he says and go on. I know it is aggravating just like when I goto a Dance Competition and can't take pictures of my girls. I would definitely ask if I could do one game/quarter/half personal only or take warmups or something like that. All he can say is no.

I would also assume you can take from the stands. There are always a lot of parents up there taking Chearleading pics and such and he won't say anything. Unless he states clearly no photos of any kind.

David
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    Thanks for all the info guys, I did specify to him that these were for personal use for my family, and that was the reply that I got. I just wanted to get a little closer to the action for better shots.thumb.gif I have a 70-200L 2.8L, and I must say that shooting football in the evening, with poor light is TOUGH! Do they make a 10-800mm 1.2L IS lens, that will fold up and fit in my pocket?:D
    Anyways I'll just keep shooting from behind the fence.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site