Fly Shots

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in Holy Macro
This is the first time I have shot these type of flies. I was quite surprised how they allowed me to get so close because as a rule they are off before I am ready. I know they are no way in the class of what is usually exhibited on here but it is a start and practice is what is needed. The fly in the first two shots was totally black and had very little character to it.
Regards
Bob
378920929_cUDsz-L.jpg
378920975_8eeiH-L.jpg
378921007_BkSuy-L.jpg
378921032_i36iX-L.jpg
378921061_6iNM2-L.jpg
378921095_ti4cb-L.jpg
378921130_SnY9a-L.jpg

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 23, 2008
    good shots Bob, they are all darter dragonflys.
    first two are male black darters,as they get older they go completly back,newly hatched they have yellow flashes on sides of body.
    the others look like red vein darters.
    phil
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    good shots Bob, they are all darter dragonflys.
    first two are male black darters,as they get older they go completly back,newly hatched they have yellow flashes on sides of body.
    the others look like red vein darters.
    phil

Thanks for looking Phil and putting me in the picture as to what they are exactly.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Good ones bob- nice dragonflies
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    canon400d wrote:
    This is the first time I have shot these type of flies. I was quite surprised how they allowed me to get so close because as a rule they are off before I am ready. I know they are no way in the class of what is usually exhibited on here but it is a start and practice is what is needed. The fly in the first two shots was totally black and had very little character to it.
    Regards
    Bob

The tops of its eyes look almost transparent Bob.
    I have like buckley's and none type chances of seeing them land around my place rolleyes1.gif

Hope you find some more, your in the same boat as me, we both need more practice ..... good stuff Bob thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    Skippy wrote:
    The tops of its eyes look almost transparent Bob.
    I have like buckley's and none type chances of seeing them land around my place rolleyes1.gif

Hope you find some more, your in the same boat as me, we both need more practice ..... good stuff Bob thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Brian I love reassurance and yes Skip practice is on the menu. I really do love all aspects of photography and thanks to you and Brian for getting me at least halfway there..
    Regards
    Bob