Options

Proof Days

Tedi17Tedi17 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 23, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I upgraded to a Pro Account a couple of days ago. There is so much information to read, trust me... I've been reading. I was into this forum about 25 pages deep and had a question.

I'm not sure what the average price for images are so I just did a percentage increase. I learn more about this later.

My question is about: Proof Days? What is about and who is doing the proofing? :scratch Sounds like me for the size print that's being ordered.

Also, what's next to a I wait for someone to purchase and drive business to my site?

Thanks in advance. I promise... I'm reading everything!
www.black-butterflies.com

"Photography is one of the most powerful mediums for documenting places, people and other points of interest, so we may share our experiences with others. These images will continue to impact someone’s life…long after we’re gone."

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Tedi17 wrote:
    My question is about: Proof Days? What is about and who is doing the proofing?

The purpose of this feature is to allow you, the seller, some time to see what was ordered, check the crop your buyer picked and potentially tweak the post processing on the image and do a replace photo before it gets printed.

I find it most useful to check the crops on the prints that people are buying because many newbie buyers don't pay any attention to the crop (just accepting the default crop) which can be disastrous on an 8x10 being printed from a 2:3 ratio image. I've even occasionally uploaded a different crop on my master image so that the 8x10 crop could work better.

Event photographers that upload hundreds of photos, hoping to sell a much smaller quantity can do mass production on them, then see which ones actually get ordered in enlargement sizes and do fine tuning on the post processing on just those images before the prints get made.

If you don't intend to verify crops or tweak the images before prints are made, then don't set proof delay because it just slows down the delivery time.

The number of days you set proof delay to is how many days you have to "approve" or "tweak" the order before it gets printed. If you don't do anything in that amount of time, the order will just go as it was. After you approve the order, you hit a button that says, "ship it" and the order goes right to the printer.
    Tedi17 wrote:
    Also, what's next to a I wait for someone to purchase and drive business to my site?

You will need to drive business to your site just like you would need to drive business to a brick and mortar store that you opened in your home town.

Optimize your site for Google searching, figure out who your best target buyer is and how to reach them. Depending upon how they are, the answers to the rest of the questions vary a lot. You can to spread word of mouth among likely buyers, invent promotions, go to events where your likely buyers would be, get yourself known among the organizations that your buyers hang out in, etc...
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Tedi17Tedi17 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The purpose of this feature is to allow you, the seller, some time to see what was ordered, check the crop your buyer picked and potentially tweak the post processing on the image and do a replace photo before it gets printed.

I find it most useful to check the crops on the prints that people are buying because many newbie buyers don't pay any attention to the crop (just accepting the default crop) which can be disastrous on an 8x10 being printed from a 2:3 ratio image. I've even occasionally uploaded a different crop on my master image so that the 8x10 crop could work better.

Event photographers that upload hundreds of photos, hoping to sell a much smaller quantity can do mass production on them, then see which ones actually get ordered in enlargement sizes and do fine tuning on the post processing on just those images before the prints get made.

If you don't intend to verify crops or tweak the images before prints are made, then don't set proof delay because it just slows down the delivery time.

The number of days you set proof delay to is how many days you have to "approve" or "tweak" the order before it gets printed. If you don't do anything in that amount of time, the order will just go as it was. After you approve the order, you hit a button that says, "ship it" and the order goes right to the printer.

You will need to drive business to your site just like you would need to drive business to a brick and mortar store that you opened in your home town.

Optimize your site for Google searching, figure out who your best target buyer is and how to reach them. Depending upon how they are, the answers to the rest of the questions vary a lot. You can to spread word of mouth among likely buyers, invent promotions, go to events where your likely buyers would be, get yourself known among the organizations that your buyers hang out in, etc...

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. Honestly, I thought that's what it meant...but I was thinking to myself, didn't the buy check this out first AND why should I change it after they've already committed to purchasing the image. This makes sense; I'll set a day or two.

"Google Searching" ??
    www.black-butterflies.com

"Photography is one of the most powerful mediums for documenting places, people and other points of interest, so we may share our experiences with others. These images will continue to impact someone’s life…long after we’re gone."