p9219219_crop271.jpg
p9219143_crop237.jpg
p9219189_crop465.jpg
p9219099_crop414.jpg
Any thought?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Great model, awesome body, amazing eyes, cute face.

The whole series is nice, you're going after Yuri's fame, aren't you? ;-)

Now back to C-business ;-)

Poses are nice; expressions differ; you've chosen some great shooting angles on most of them (esp on staying ones).

1. It's not her angle face-wise; WB is off (green skin due to the foliage); watch those patches of light (hair); remember the "suck it" command;-)

2. Part of the image is blown off; I usually do not recommend my models to covers their mouth with any objects or hands without a very specific need for it; she's too centered;

3. Part of the image is blown off again; the crop is way to tight on top;

4. same non-flattering angle face wise as in #1; the crop is too tight on top and on the right (you even cut her jeans off);

5. I would crop more of the glass door on the right - it's bright, reflecting and distracting. this would also add more dynamics to the picture

6. Crop is very tight both on top and on the botton, and very centered.

7. She's too centered vertically, I'd lose either top or the bottom.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Big bump to Nikolai here. A very well done critique.

My greatest issue here is the color balance across the series.

You might find this useful:
    http://super.nova.org/DPR/Technique/GrayCard.html
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    thanks..
    Thanks for the input..oh and I greatly admire Yuri's work..bowdown.gif ..
    This was my second model and a tfp shoot. I was trying hard to correctly use my fill flash with the available sunlight as I have had problems with this in the past in particular with my flash being overpoweing..I felt like I did much better this time..
    here's another by the bricks..
    p9219188_crop625.jpg
    and a candid..
    p9219161_crop850.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    here's another by the bricks..
    and a candid..
    first one is overfilled.
    But I really like the candid thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    first one is overfilled.

The light is a bit harsh. If you're gonna shoot with flash, it's always best to get it off camera (unless it's a ring flash, though I know some even disagree with this). I understand that's tough for event and wedding photogs but you were shooting a model and had time to plan. :D

It looks easy-- shooting pretty girls. But anyone who has tried it knows differently! Keep at it. Sometimes you learn more just doing different shoots over and over than you will anywhere else.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    As has already been stated, the fill on the first is much over-done. When you are evaluating your own photos, take a look (look for) shadows. Are they in inappropriate places and/or too strong. In your first photo, the shadow is evident on the white behind your model. This type of shadow is caused by an un-modified on-camera flash with the camera/flash combination in portrait orientation and the flash to the side of the lens rather than above it.

As noted above, off-camera flash/fill works so much better, in that the shadows cast by off-camera light can provide a lot of depth/interest and can also put unwanted shadows outside the view of the lens.

Off-camera lighting doesn't have to be expensive (though it certainly can be). It appears you already have an external flash. With just a couple of more relatively inexpensive pieces of equipmentment, you can get that flash to trigger remotely. Take a look at The Strobist Blog for a lot of useful information on how to do lighting "on the cheap."
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    I'm just starting to really "make" photos so take what I say as the opinions of a newbie.

She has good expressions and looks totally relaxed so you obiously had a good rapport with her. As I look through the series, I wonder about some of the crops and backgrounds. For instance:

#4 - I'm somewhat bothered by the tree in the upper-left corner and the diagonal line "cutting" through her head.

#5 - I can't decide if I like the railing to her left. I think it has a tendency to lead my eyes away from her. I also think the two lights in the upper-light almost overpower her. Between the railing and these two lights, my eyes just want to go to the left of the photo.

My favorite is the candid. I would have cropped this differently. Maybe takig a little more off the bottom to get away form her knees.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook