First model shoot

canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited May 3, 2005 in People
Got my first model shoot today. Well first model that wasn't my girlfriend. How did I do?

20980750-M.jpg

20980806-M.jpg

20980871-M.jpg
I am working on getting some more interesting faces for my protfolio.

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    The second one is over exposed.

I like the first one. Now you start nit-picking details, and I don't know the answers to these questions. Is the wine glass tipped in an attractive angle? Is the color of the wine chosen pleasing and complementary? The unbuttoned blouse, how much so should it be? The choice of jewelry?

But you have a very good start with the first one.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 1, 2005
    I like the first one. It's evenly lit and it looks sharp. I'm not so sure about
    the jewelry or the wine in the glass.

The second is nicely composed but definetly OE. Were you trying to use
    the flash as fill? If so, you might want to turn it down a bit.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    i really enjoy the colors in the first shot and the subject is stunning, however i think there is gratuitous cleavage and i would've completely done without the jewelry. i would've also shot this vertically so that i could at least get the rest of her hands into the shot and possibly the rest of her head.

the second picture is really over exposed, i'm not too fond of her face, and i think you cut off too much of her head.

i'm sorry if i'm being harsh, but this is what i want when i post my pictures.
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    Gratuitous Cleavage...
    I never even noticed that. But I guess living in South Fl. for the last few years has desensitized me a bit. That dress is pretty standard down here... and admittidly, it doesn't bother me a bit!thumb.gif

The first pic is definitely my favorite of the bunch so far. I really like the exposure and the sharpness. This model showed up with this outfit. We left dress pretty much up to her, but next time I will advise more specifically. I didn't care for the top with all the buttons and ruffles and it seemed to tight.

The second pic was a try at some high key photos. I guess it didn't work. Back to th drawing board for that!ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the comments.
    edited May 1, 2005
    interesting, for some reason there were only two pictures before, but now i see three. now that i see it, i think the third is the best one of the set, however i have two elements that are really bothering me. first, the necklace/jewelry just doesn't fit for me, i don't know if i can really explain it, i just think that the bare skin would look much better. second, i think i would've put a little more clothes on her butt/legs or shot from a different angle, you see what i'm saying?
    edited May 1, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    interesting, for some reason there were only two pictures before, but now i see three. now that i see it, i think the third is the best one of the set, however i have two elements that are really bothering me. first, the necklace/jewelry just doesn't fit for me, i don't know if i can really explain it, i just think that the bare skin would look much better. second, i think i would've put a little more clothes on her butt/legs or shot from a different angle, you see what i'm saying?
    Absolutely. I notice that so many "aspiring models" feel the need to show more skin than needed. Or maybe that is just how they dress. Either way, I have another go around at this soon. I have some more specific themes in mind, so they attire will relflect that.

Ohh and yes, I added the third, and will add more as I find some good ones and process them.
    edited May 1, 2005
    maybe you should add them as a new reply next time so we see that u updated the thread. just a thought.

if i'm goin out shooting with a model (or "model") i try to have them bring backup wardrobe in case i don't like it and more importantly, in case something happens to it.
    edited May 1, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    maybe you should add them as a new reply next time so we see that u updated the thread. just a thought.

if i'm goin out shooting with a model (or "model") i try to have them bring backup wardrobe in case i don't like it and more importantly, in case something happens to it.
    Good advice.

FYI - the color of the wine is off because it is not actually wine. I need to fix that in post processing.
    edited May 1, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    Good advice.

FYI - the color of the wine is off because it is not actually wine. I need to fix that in post processing.
    is it blood?GRIM2A.gif
    yelrotflmao.gif
    edited May 2, 2005
    Some more
    binghott wrote:
    is it blood?GRIM2A.gif
    yelrotflmao.gif
    HA! headscratch.gif

Nahh... Vitamin Water... Some new sports drink.

20980777-M.jpg

The angle of the wine may seem strange because I am shooting from an elevated postion.

21027073-M.jpg
    edited May 2, 2005
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Great results for a first model shoot. Wardrobe, props, makeup and hair all play significant roles in these types of shoots. I am sure yoiu will become more discriminating about these little factors as you progress shooting models. I know I gain a better understanding of it with each successive shoot I do.

The 3rd shot is really nice, I like the negitive space to the right of the model, this would make a good stock photo
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 2, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    ...however i think there is gratuitous cleavage...
    and that top bottom is hanging on for dear life! :D
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Ahhh you still have a gf after these ;) Nice shots
    edited May 2, 2005
    i'm kinda confused about what you were aiming for with these pictures. what is the goal or purpose? are you doing model shots, creating stock images, building your portfolio, advertising vitamin water, or what?

after looking through the gallery i think you should've done more near the fountain, i also think that the eyes seem to be missing a little pop. i would've take a couple much closer pics as well (your only closeups featured classes).

this is my favorite, great colors and framing, but i think it could be a little lighter and her eyes don't really do anything for me.:
    20980777-M.jpg

also, what lens(es) are you using?
    once again, i'm sorry if i sound harsh.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    I think when someone is modeling for you, you have to have a connection that will show through in the picture. It's where the shot doesn't looked posed, or you know it's posed, but it doesn't matter, because the model looks comfortable and thus you the viewer feel comfortable viewing.

I'm not saying your shots are bad, they aren't, but they look extremely posed and I don't feel a connection to them. They seem too distant.
    edited May 2, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i'm kinda confused about what you were aiming for with these pictures. what is the goal or purpose? are you doing model shots, creating stock images, building your portfolio, advertising vitamin water, or what?

after looking through the gallery i think you should've done more near the fountain, i also think that the eyes seem to be missing a little pop. i would've take a couple much closer pics as well (your only closeups featured classes).

also, what lens(es) are you using?
    once again, i'm sorry if i sound harsh.
    I used 2 lenses. For this, I used the 50mm f1.8 and its wide open for a shallow DOF. For some of the others, like pics of her posed in the grass, I used the 24 -135 IS. Zoomed out all the way and wide open.

The shoot is for 3 things.
    1. build portfolio and get more experience shooting portraits.
    2. stock
    3. a client/friend who wanted to feature some of the stemware and glassware you see in the shots. He didn't have any real ideas beyond wanting a pretty girl to pose with the glasses to add interest for his online adds. Admittedly, I didn't have too many ideas either, not having done this before. I was just rolling with the punches. And since the girl's outfit was "haingin on for dear life" the angles and poses I had originally though of were not an option. Now, however, after procesing the shots, I have better focus. What's here is alright, but I think it will get more use in stock than in advertising and has been great for building expeience. Next weekend we have more models scheduled. The look, location, and other elements will be very different so stay tuned.

I appreciate the constuctive feedback. Keep it comingthumb.gif
    edited May 2, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I think when someone is modeling for you, you have to have a connection that will show through in the picture. It's where the shot doesn't looked posed, or you know it's posed, but it doesn't matter, because the model looks comfortable and thus you the viewer feel comfortable viewing.
    Helps when you have an experienced model too. This model was cool and not too shy, but not totally comfortable in front of the camera. I was cracking jokes to relax her a bit and making conversation. That can be as hard a taking the photos. But all in all, I think I caught 5 convincing expressions. Next time I am bringing some music to the shoot.
    edited May 2, 2005
    also, any PS suggestions on popping the eyes
    Also, any suggestions on popping the eyes would be great! This model had great eyes, which means she was also sun sensitive (even though it was overcast). How can I pop those eyes in PS?
    edited May 2, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    For this, I used the 50mm f1.8 and its wide open for a shallow DOF.
    i have that lens too, but i almost never go wide open with it, i find the dof to be a little too shallow and the images too soft. i usually stick around f2.8.
    edited May 3, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i have that lens too, but i almost never go wide open with it, i find the dof to be a little too shallow and the images too soft. i usually stick around f2.8.
    When I use it for portraits I always make sure to pin point the eyes. If I am far enough off the subject, the DOF gets all the facial features and softens the rest. I particularly like that look.