Options

Algonquin Fall

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited September 25, 2008 in Journeys
Morning in Algonquin is a very special time, especially in the fall. The warm and cool air mixes over water to create spectacular misty mornings. Dress warm though as the temperature dips below freezing! All photos were taken on an Induro Series 3 tripod, a Acratech GV2 ballhead, and a remote release to minimize shake.

379229583_5zWAf-XL.jpg
D700, ISO 400, f11@5s. (70-200mm 2.8, 2 frames)

The Opeongo River offers some spectacular scenary. Low valleys are shrouded in mist and ice after a frost.

Pickeral weed and other types of aquatic grasses and sedges provide wildlife forage in the Opeongo system. It is also a coldwater thermal regime and this promotes the growth of watercress. Watercress is a important indicator species for cool and coldwater fish. This tributary is a well known spot for feeding moose (unfortunately none seen). On this particular morning, the mist provided a surreal atmosphere.

379225272_Mq6kN-XL.jpg
D700, ISO 400, f11@10s. (70-200mm 2.8)

The sun breaks through the trees here as it climbs into the sky. These mornings are so beautiful that sometimes the camera becomes secondary and you are left just quietly watching events unfold.

Steam rises off the lake and produces a great effect. These are the moments that the hikes in the dark and cold mornings pay off.
379231778_AS54t-XL.jpg
D700, ISO 400, f11@ 1/5s. (70-200mm 2.8)

The following photos are the result of a long hike up the trail to get there for daybreak. It was worth it as the views did not disappoint.

Poplars and maples showed up in stark contrast against a coniferous backdrop as the mist separated me from another peak.

379238675_ygC5G-XL.jpg
D700, ISO 400, f11@ 1/25s. (70-200mm 2.8, 3 frames DoF stacked)

Two wider views on this plateau offered spectacular scenery of 100's of squared kilometers of Algonquin wilderness.

379247222_n9q7Y-XL.jpg
D700, ISO 400, f11@ 1/40s. (70-200mm 2.8, 3 frames stitched)

379294413_7Wwtd-XL.jpg
D700, ISO 400, f11@ 1/25s. (70-200mm 2.8, 10 frames stitched, 80-inches plus wide, 12 inches height)

Overall impressions of the trip were as follows:

1. I used the 70-200mm 2.8 more than any other lens. Why? Because the 14-24 and 24-70 were ofter too wide and got foreground elements in the photos I didn't want. What a surprisingly useful landscape lens.

2. Morning in the fall is a much better time for photography than dusk. There is much more spectacular and moody shots available.

3. Didn't use the 14-24mm once this trip. I find it difficult to use properly. You really need the right view and there is much more to consider in the composition. I will need to practice much more with this lens to use it properly. I used my 24-70mm somewhat, but again, the need to get past many foreground elements means it just didn't provide that reach!

This is my first batch of photos. More will come. I've got several hundred more shots to go through.
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    edited September 24, 2008
    A few more photos...

The colours over the hilltops were stunning. Hiking in the late afternoon/early evening revealed nice light hitting the hills. This was taken after hiking up an old game trail. Coming down in the dark was especially tough...

379278498_AW794-XL.jpg
    D700 ISO 200, f11@35s. (70-200 2.8)

One of the things that can really stand out in Algonquin is the isolation of colour against the backdrop of green conifers. This lone maple against a backdrop of green pine, black spruce, and yellow birch had already peaked. I punched up the levels in lab colormode (photoshop) to create a velvia-like image.

379276789_A2QdQ-XL.jpg
    D700 ISO 400, f11@20s. (24-70 2.8)
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    Spectacular.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Thank you Cuong. It was tough not to take a good photo during this time. :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    Love the mist and the colors. I also enjoy your description of the scenes and shots. Like you, I tend to use longer lenses for landscape for the same reason -- to remove distractions such as tree branches, tall grasses, etc.
  • Options
    I don't think people use long lenses enough in landscape work. The big fad right now is for extreme wide-angles. These are terrific if applied in the correct situation. With stitching software and hardware now, you can really compress the shots to what you want and create a larger pano to encompass an entire scene.

Of course, with that said... I still love wide angle and can't wait to get an interesting foreground to bust it out on. mwink.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Superb beautiful ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Thank you Awais... from what I've seen of your work, it means a lot! wings.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    Brilliant work. I love that last shot with the red tree. But they are all brilliant. Your comments about using teles and wide angles in landscape shots is interesting. I tend to do just the opposite. I love squirming around in order to find just the right angle for a wide composition. I'll have to learn to use longer lenses!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    Mucho thanks Jeff. I still have more to go through. I also plan to go up again in a couple of weeks when the oaks begin to turn colour. bowdown.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Update
    I'll keep posting here until I have gone through all my photos!

379840806_FD92b-XL.jpg
    D700 ISO 200, f11@15s (14-24mm f2.8, exposure blend 2 images)

The spruce bogs in Algonquin provide valuable habitat to river otters, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals. These bogs are prevalent in northern Ontario, but not so much in southern Ontario (Algonquin is very unique). Black spruce are prized in the paper industry and are industriously logged for their value.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    Stunningly beautiful photos! I have to make it to Ontario in the autumn.

On an aside, did you meet Mr. Canoehead while you were in Algonquin Park?:D
    Angela
  • Options
    Oh yes, I did. I also met Mr. Leafer.... Of course, this was on the way back to the motel to sleep for the day. My itinerary went something like this:

5:00AM- awake
    6:00AM- hike in to site
    6:45AM- setup
    7:20AM- Sunrise
    7:20-9:00 - Shoot
    9:00-10:00AM- Hike back and have breakfast
    10:00-4:00PM- Sleep
    4:00-9:00PM- Shoot

The itinerary changes depending on whether or not there is a cloudy overcast sky. If so, I forgo sleep and hike for wildlife. eek7.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2008
    Frost lines the cattails on the Opeongo. Boy... I wish I had a warm bed... :D

379914473_mTq2Y-XL.jpg
    D700, ISO 400, f11@2s (70-200mm 2.8)

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    Nice images and very vibrant colors.
  • Options
    380029827_zNSQK-XL.jpg

D700, ISO 200, f11@1/10s (24-70mm 2.8, 13 images stitched. 80 inches by 12 inches)

At the Brewer Lake lookout.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    good job man, great captures!

such unique conditions!:D lucky buggerthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    bowdown.gif Thanks everyone. I may have a few more to put. I just haven't had the time to go through them all. rolleyes1.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    T.G.T.G. Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Wow
    Fantastic images. Impressive work. Looking forward to more. thumb.gif
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    These are spectacular! I've only recently moved to Ontario and was told to put Algonquin park on my list. Now I know for sure :D

And I'm told that this should be a really great year for fall colors due to all the rain this summer. Bring it on!
  • Options
    There are more factors than just the rain. Too much rain is actually a bad thing as it can prematurely bring the leaves off the trees. We've been getting consistent cool nights and that is helping the leaves to seal themselves from getting any more moisture. 1st week in October should be spectacular. It was only 50% when I went.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed