Before or After (DSS#9)

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I can't decide to go with before sunrise or after.

379402162_PBM9K-L-1.jpg

Pluses for #1:

1. Details show in the building.
2. More/better gradation in the sky.

379401800_xvcTn-L-1.jpg

Pluses for #2:

1. People in the foreground
2. Starburst off the sun
3. Sun's reflection in the water
4. Silhouettes

Any and all comments are welcome and needed as usual.

— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Personally I prefer #1. The red lights at the top of the needle add to it for me Maybe because it pulls the reds up to the top of the picture against the blue? It certainly pulls the eye upward, and since the angle means that the rh side of the Capitol building is slightly cut off behind the monument, I prefer the element (ie those lights) which encourages me to look at the whole picture.

Just my n00b 2c. And I'm impressed that you found such a great sunrise - I've been wracking my brain to think of something in this latitude that could give me a good dawn or dusk shot (I"m not in DC, but not a million miles away :) - we don't usually get the kind of gorgeous skies of further west. I had one idea, but these here parts aren't necessarily the safest and so I'm struggling to come up with somewhere visually interesting that won't leave me out in the dark by myself with an expensive-looking camera around my neck headscratch.gif

Great shots!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    I think #1 is the stronger image with nicer color and detail. Unfortunately, the foreground on both is cluttered with that fence. Since cropping is a no-no this round, I would try for a reshoot if possible. See if you can zoom in to get past the fence and move a bit to the left to get the Capitol off the Washington Monument. A better vantage point for that is to take a left as you come out of the Lincoln and walk to the side of the building. You can also usually get away with a tripod there (at least for a minute or twomwink.gif).
    E
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    I agree with the 2 comments above - #1 is my favorite. I like the sky in #1 vs #2; although I do like the reflection of the sun in the water in photo #2. Good luck!!

Stephanie
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    I think I am more drawn to #1 as well. I love the colour and the details in the buildings!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    Ditto all the comments regarding #1. I like seeing the building details.

Psssssst...we were in your neck of the woods just this past Saturday at Mount Vernon. :D
  • ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    #1 does not have 2 competing subjects, but you still have a visual merger with the capitol building. That fence sucks, maybe you can move up to the pool or reposition to avoid it.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    Thanks everyone! I can completely agree with the coments. If I stick with this idea I will adjust my spot accordingly. The park police were in a harassing mood this morning. One of them was trying to convince me that I needed a permit. So I didn't push things until I had a chance to check out his story. Turns out that he was wrong in my situation. If you plan on shooting on National Park Service properties in the US you want to check this out. (http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/permits.cfm?urlarea=permits) I now have a copy in my bag and will use it next time Barney gets full of himself.

Thanks again
    — Kevin

Mods — I'm not sure where else this link needs to be on the site, so if you would, please place it where it will be sure to get noticed. Thx

My Site, My Book
    divamum wrote:
    Just my n00b 2c. And I'm impressed that you found such a great sunrise - I've been wracking my brain to think of something in this latitude that could give me a good dawn or dusk shot (I"m not in DC, but not a million miles away :) - we don't usually get the kind of gorgeous skies of further west. I had one idea, but these here parts aren't necessarily the safest and so I'm struggling to come up with somewhere visually interesting that won't leave me out in the dark by myself with an expensive-looking camera around my neck headscratch.gif

If you have an idea and need a shooting buddy, or just someone to watch your back, let me know. An extra person just might be enough of an intimidation factor.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    KevXman wrote:
    If you have an idea and need a shooting buddy, or just someone to watch your back, let me know. An extra person just might be enough of an intimidation factor.

— Kevin

Aw, that's so kind of you - thanks! I was mugged this past year (not photographically related, just a standard grab and go mugging), so I'm twitchy about doing anything where I might be vulnerable. Appreciate the offer!

Btw, I had NO IDEA that DC was so draconian about photographing the monuments - what's with THAT? Do they tell tourists they need a permit too, or is it only if you're shooting outside normal hours and look like you know what you're doing?! headscratch.gifhuh
    divamum wrote:
    Btw, I had NO IDEA that DC was so draconian about photographing the monuments - what's with THAT? Do they tell tourists they need a permit too, or is it only if you're shooting outside normal hours and look like you know what you're doing?! headscratch.gifhuh

I think it was just this particular officer. I'd tell you what the rent-a-cops on site said about him but it wasn't very nice. Hilarious, but unkind. They leave you alone if you are obviously a tourist, but when you show up with a full rig they tend to look a little more closely. On the other hand, I could just get me a pair of bermuda shorts, black socks, and sandals.rolleyes1.gif

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    Kevin, I'm so sorry to read that you were harassed like that. At least you weren't the only one who felt that particular ranger acted like a total jerk. You were in a public place taking a picture of a monument so none of the NPS permit criteria would have applied to you. If you were there taking a picture with a Canon Elph or Nikon Coolpix no one would have bothered you. SHEESH!