Options

Binary Upload Order Woes.....please help

inflandersfieldinflandersfield Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi, I did ten minutes of searches looking for a Dgrin answer to this question and couldn't find it. I apologize if this has already been covered.

I use Apple's Aperture and batch name change files to keep a particular order. When I use the "simple" uploader it uploads images in a random order. The best thing I can do on my end is after upload--"sort" the gallery, then manually "arrange" by removing the binary accending order (1, 10, 100, 101, 102, etc) into standard numberic order (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

I know I could use Aperture to Smugmug --which puts images in the right order. (but that only uploads one gallery at a time (I need to do about 10-20 galleries at a time). And with hundreds of images per gallery, I need a sort/arrange feature that is not binary.

Thanks for understanding my problem and trying to help,

Flanders...

kennedyphotoworks.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Hi, I did ten minutes of searches looking for a Dgrin answer to this question and couldn't find it. I apologize if this has already been covered.

I use Apple's Aperture and batch name change files to keep a particular order. When I use the "simple" uploader it uploads images in a random order. The best thing I can do on my end is after upload--"sort" the gallery, then manually "arrange" by removing the binary accending order (1, 10, 100, 101, 102, etc) into standard numberic order (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

I know I could use Aperture to Smugmug --which puts images in the right order. (but that only uploads one gallery at a time (I need to do about 10-20 galleries at a time). And with hundreds of images per gallery, I need a sort/arrange feature that is not binary.

Thanks for understanding my problem and trying to help,

Flanders...

kennedyphotoworks.smugmug.com

Can you change your workflow in Aperture so you have leading zeroes 001, 002, 010, 100, 200, etc... on your numbers which will make them sort properly. Then you can just tell Smugmug to sort by filename and it won't matter what the uploader does?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    inflandersfieldinflandersfield Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    I'm pretty sure I'm doing that...
    Yes,

In Aperture I make filenames like this: 24hrs_hc2_001.jpg, 24hrs_hc2_002.jpg, etc...

I suppose I could also 24hrs_hc2 001.jpg, (note the no "_" between the filename and the sequence). Might that make a difference?

Thanks for your help with this

Flander
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Yes,

In Aperture I make filenames like this: 24hrs_hc2_001.jpg, 24hrs_hc2_002.jpg, etc...

I suppose I could also 24hrs_hc2 001.jpg, (note the no "_" between the filename and the sequence). Might that make a difference?

Thanks for your help with this

Flander
    If you have filenames "24hrs_hc2_001.jpg" and "24hrs_hc2_002.jpg" then those should be directly sortable in Smugmug (as long as the part in front of the numbers is identical for every image) and the upload order should not matter. Just select "auto sort" by filename in the customize gallery screen and choose ascending or descending. Is that not working for you?

If I were you I'd avoid using a space in the filename, so the underscore is safer.

FYI, I sometimes want my images sorted by rating. Since Smugmug doesn't offer a sort by rating, I sort them by rating in Lightroom, then rename my exported files in Lightroom by prepending a three digit sequence 001-JLF_xxxx.jpg, 002-JLF_xxxx.jpg, etc... to each name. I can then set auto sort to filename and ascending order and my gallery ends up sorted by rating when it's uploaded.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question