A dusky try for #9

ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited October 4, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Would like to get feedback, maybe some pointers.
#1- The shallow approach
379791885_GEd89-L.jpg

#2 All about the color
379805084_yqKep-L.jpg

#3 Not Quite so Shallow
379805496_grvSu-L.jpg

384871657_c2QMd-L.jpg

386610494_XQa8R-L.jpg

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    I see what you're trying to do with the fence, but your flash is making the foreground lighting very harsh. You may want to considering not using the flash and placing your camera on a tripod or some other really stable surface and trying a few more shots, if you want to use the fence idea.

My favorite of the bunch is #2. But you need to include more of the sky in the photo and less of the dark foreground. What I would do is frame the photo so that the foreground is just a teeny strip on the bottom and point the camera toward the sky and shoot. mwink.gif
  • KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    I'd like to see a shot just like number 2 with no flash and move the camera lower to put a fence post or two (with a string of barbed wire) infront of the orange backdrop. Keep the fence close to you to make a nice silhouette.
  • ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    I'm not going to be back at this location (Moriarty NM) for some time, so I will need to start from scratch. The advice is helpful for the next try. Still a couple things to try, I like the colors in #2 but maybe a silhouette in sharp focus and a shallow DOF like #1 or #3.

Hmmm, time to check the schedule and map... West Memphis, AR at 1500 9/26/8.
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    Hey,

My apologies, but I ran across the same situation yesterday morning during my travels, and posted that photo in the entry thread this morning.

And, thanks KoryJ, by the way, I appreciate your kind words. :)
  • ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Dusky try for #9- This is for the birds
    Looks like I have a little time on my hands, it turns out some load planner forgot to schedule an appointment in Kalamazoo, MI so I had to back track a little to Battle Creek. A decision I am not regretting I might add, stuck 'till Monday does have some advantages. I had to stand on a garbage can to get these so a tripod was not an option. Probably could have bumped up the ISO a little and netted a little faster shutter speed, the geese caught me in the act of dialing in the exposure levels. I could hear them in the field but was not sure where or when they would take flight.
    386615195_mgjfP-S.jpg
    386616105_RqD5u-S.jpg
    So I am thinking of changing my entry from #4 to maybe #5 (below) I will try again tomorrow (Sunday) since I'm not real happy with the sharpness of #5 so any advice is good advice.

384871657_c2QMd-L.jpg
    Exif

386610494_XQa8R-L.jpg
    Exif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    What a great opportunity with #5. Great color, composition is good too, but yeah, if only it were more in focus, it'd be darn near perfect!
    Try again tomoorow, maybe you'll get lucky! Those shots are so hard to get right with exposure and shutter when you don't have much forewarning! Good luck!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    #5 for me. Fun set of photos.