Family Photos Prep/Suggestions

idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited September 26, 2008 in People
Hey All,

I have agreed to do informal family photos for a work friend this weekend.

I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions or comments on my plan here:

It's going to be a natural setting, no studio or anything, backing against nature, green and autumn trees, etc.

So, I figure I am going to need to ask them to color co-ord the family, and I was thinking about asking them to focus on Blues.

So, for my gear, I have:
Canon XTi, 24-60mm F/2.8 Sigma, 430 EX II flash. (i have more stuff, but that's what I plan to use primarily)

No, as for props, I am hoping that somebody has suggestions. haha.

I suppose that I should be bringing some stools or something for some sitting shots? Is that worth it?

I am generally just looking for any input on the subject, any suggestions would be great.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Choose a nice background that will compliment the family...shoes and socks off is one thought for a timeless photo...consider time of day..diffused light if possible, flash for fill. Use numerous poses (think diamonds or tiers) but allow a bit of room between each individual for personal expressiveness. If shooting in shade later in day, consider using a blue gel on flash to mimic shade for richer backgound colors/WB. Other than that...have fun...try lots of different stuff and you may come away with lots of "Oooooh Babies"...:D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    I'm no pro but here's some things I've found from experience.

1. Everyone wearing the same color can be great but have them bring something else also.

2. Pets can be terrbile to shoot but they are part of the family.

3. If there are young kids involved a prop to draw their attention really helps.

4. Late afternoon light is the best.

5. Remember that your camera is digital - you are not wasting film, so shoot, shoot, shoot.

6. Have fun!
    Dale Childress
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    Hey,

Thanks very much fellas, i appreciate the input.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a lightsphere that i'll be using.

Diamonds should work well actually, because its a family of four with only 1 male.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll post a few after I process them.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Hey, fellow Edmontonian! There are a few of us here! Glad to meet you.
    Can you tell us more about the family, and shooting time and location?
    ann
    idiom wrote:
    Hey,

Thanks very much fellas, i appreciate the input.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a lightsphere that i'll be using.

Diamonds should work well actually, because its a family of four with only 1 male.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll post a few after I process them.
    edited September 26, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey, fellow Edmontonian! There are a few of us here! Glad to meet you.
    Can you tell us more about the family, and shooting time and location?
    ann

Oh awesome! I'm glad to hear from more people from edmonton. :)

The family is a family of 4, no pets that I know of. Father, Mother, 3 daughters. 16, 6, and 4yrs. (I was wrong about about a family of 4.)

The location i'm not 100% sure about yet. But I am trying to work out Saturdy Morning at 10AM. I think the location is going to be lacombe park lake in St. Albert, its a little man made lake in St. Albert. He mentioned that location once already.

Ill update with more details when/if I get them. haha.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    St. Albert is a great location. The downtown is really pretty, but Sat. a.m. they have a great farmers market and parking is really at a premium. There is a beautiful red bridge in the park that runs along the Sturgeon and the banks of the Sturgeon are really photogenic too. First couple pages of this gallery are from a walk I did there last spring.

Last weekend, we went to the farmers market out there. There were people kayaking and canoeing on the Sturgeon too.

Tips: talk to the family about color coordinating before the shoot. Solids that all match are best.

Have you sorted out the stools issue? It rained an awful lot today so the grass may be wet still. Do you have any large logs that you could use?

Consider taking a ladder for a different shooting angle.

Avoid having them face the sun as you'll end up with squinters.

I am no expert at this thats for sure. I am trying to learn myself. Hope you will post results.

Thanks

ann

idiom wrote:
    Oh awesome! I'm glad to hear from more people from edmonton. :)

The family is a family of 4, no pets that I know of. Father, Mother, 3 daughters. 16, 6, and 4yrs. (I was wrong about about a family of 4.)

The location i'm not 100% sure about yet. But I am trying to work out Saturdy Morning at 10AM. I think the location is going to be lacombe park lake in St. Albert, its a little man made lake in St. Albert. He mentioned that location once already.

Ill update with more details when/if I get them. haha.
    great, thanks anna. :) Much appreciated. I quite like the ladder idea, I will do that for sure. It will help with a photo from above that I had planned to take. all 5 heads in the circle. :)

Thanks again everybody.