My go at #9

rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited September 25, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok...here we go...C&C please...

My idea for this challenge was along the lines of up between dusk and dawn. But I don't know what to do for a title so any suggestions would be helpful.

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Exif is embedded in all of the images but exposure was usually between 15th and 30th of a second and ISO was 100 or 400 f-stop was anywhere from f/8 to f/16.

The hardest part about getting the light streaks was getting enough vehicles to come down the road. I was having to wait 5 minutes for 1 car and 10 minutes for two at once!

-Grant
Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    I like the crop of #1 and the exposure you have on #2. What's distracting about #2, though, is that thing on the right but what I do like about it is that you can make out the sky. I'm not 100% sold on the starburst effect for this particular challenge, though I do like it. thumb.gif That starburst effect immediately catches the eye and the natural light at that time of day winds up playing second fiddle to that.ne_nau.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    What are the chances of shooting the coming train instead? Obviously from a different vantage point mwink.gif. The mood of dusk (or dawn) and a train with slightly slowed shutter should be pretty dramatic.
    E
  • rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    eoren1 wrote:
    What are the chances of shooting the coming train instead? Obviously from a different vantage point mwink.gif. The mood of dusk (or dawn) and a train with slightly slowed shutter should be pretty dramatic.
    E

Slim to none. Trains don't come through very often. When they do it's during the middle of the day. They basically come through to transport feed from a feed mill every once and awhile.

Now that I think about it I have only heard a train 3 times since I have lived here for the last 2.5 years and I have only seen a train once. And I live right on the tracks. The location where I took these photos is literally 200 feet from my apartment.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB