The Rings

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited September 26, 2008 in Landscapes
The Mojave yucca, (yucca schidigera) can sprout from seeds when fertilized by the yucca moth, or can clone itself by rhizome extension producing perfect copies of its DNA within the sprouts. The rings created by this method of reproduction keep the plant alive for periods of up to 2,400 years, as estimated in this ACEC (Area of Critical Environmental Concern).

640-e1299-01.jpg
This is actually considered one plant instead of the many it appears to be.
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    Intersting image. A grove of Aspens can simiarly be considered 'one tree'.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Intersting image. A grove of Aspens can simiarly be considered 'one tree'.

Don

That's interesting. I had heard of Pando, but I didn't realize it was an aspen. Pando far surpassed the 'King Clone', creosote bush here in the Mojave, which was estimated to be 12,000 years old. It seems the root system for the South American tree is 80,000 years old and also the record for the world's heaviest living organism.

I'm noticing the Wikpedia (meh) article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree), mentions the possibility of of root systems of quaking aspen in Utah may be up to one million years old, and have root systems of possibly 50 hectares in area. I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia, but if aspen in the Utah region are possibly that old and large, if they exist in the ecotone between the Mojave Desert/Colorado Plateau/Grand Staircase/Great Basin, then I'm off to Utah again (w00t!) to snap some pictures. Thanks!
    Anybody can do it.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Looks like a gathering of the dessert Ents! rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    I never thought I'd miss those after moving out of CA. Natives use them for a lot of things. The underground aspect of some plants is incredible...but look into how big mushroom colonies can be eek7.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    wild stuff!
    hey is that a golf ball i see?

anyway, whats you utah agenda?
    colors have started:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    Thanks Jeff, James and Aaron.

James, I believe you're right about the uses for the Mojave yucca. The fibers are exceptionally strong and made great ropes and sandals. From what I've read about Native cultures, they let nothing on the plant go to waste. I've ate the blossoms. Out of the 4-5 types of yucca blossoms I've tried, they were the least preferred. I've yet to try the fruit.
    OTHER USES AND VALUES : Native Americans of the Southwest traditionally used Mojave yucca for numerous purposes. Fruits were eaten raw or dried for later use. Leaves, which contain high levels of saponin, a detergentlike substance, were pulped to produce soap. Fibers obtained from the leaves were made into rope, twine, hats, hair brushes, shoes, mattresses, and saddle blankets.

http://mojavedesert.net/plants/shrubs/yucca-schidigera.html

Aaron,

Might be a couple golfballs in there- or eggs.

Anyway, looks like not until spring, but more likely next fall. Economics not good at the moment. Waiting to be bought out.
    Anybody can do it.