Housekeeping Idea

rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited September 28, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I keep finding it harder and hard to sort through all these threads. I thought maybe it might be really good to make a subforum for past challenges. The entry thread, poll thread, and feedback thread could all be placed into the subforum after each round ended. It would also be better archived for easy viewing. It would also clear out some of the clutter in the main forum.

Maybe this would make things more complicated but it might be worth a shot. What does everybody else think?

-Grant
Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
  • rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    I guess thats ok...it just seems like if all the treads were together it would be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to go to that thread to find each challenge thread.

-Grant
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    rgbivens wrote:
    I guess thats ok...it just seems like if all the treads were together it would be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to go to that thread to find each challenge thread.

-Grant
    so let me get this straight...

Instead of:
    a nicely organized thread, which is stuck to the top of this forum, which Emily updates constantly into a succint "table of contents" for you
    you want:
    a subforum, which would still be chockers full of threads, and would require going back through pages anyway.

I reckon the first option requires less clicking than the second, no?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so let me get this straight...

Instead of:
    a nicely organized thread, which is stuck to the top of this forum, which Emily updates constantly into a succint "table of contents" for you
    you want:
    a subforum, which would still be chockers full of threads, and would require going back through pages anyway.
    I reckon the first option requires less clicking than the second, no?

Stop confusing me with you damn facts and logic rolleyes1.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    For the record - I don't want to be misconstrued here, we are always open to new ideas and I'm glad Grant spoke up about something he might like improved.

However, I always reserve the right to debate everything. :D

So, honestly, is the "links" thread not enough? am I missing something about the subforums idea? Just to back up my logic, Grant's idea is more like an archive, something we just don't do on dgrin, anywhere. We have always had the luxury (read: server space) to just keep everything, and it works out well when you you need to dig back.
    Erik

i think the mini-challenge would be good to have a sticky like the DSS sticky....

maybe this weekend i will try to do a thread with all the minis in it and you can sticky that?

other than that i just dont see what else to organize....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 26, 2008
    i think the mini-challenge would be good to have a sticky like the DSS sticky....

maybe this weekend i will try to do a thread with all the minis in it and you can sticky that?
    great idea, if you mini challengers want to put together your own table of contents w/links, and keep it updated, we'll support that. nod.gif
    Erik

k i will try it tomorrow....can it be updated by each new winner, or since i create the thread i am only able to edit it?
    i dont mind eitherway...

A
    Aaron Nelson
    k i will try it tomorrow....can it be updated by each new winner, or since i create the thread i am only able to edit it?
    i dont mind eitherway...

A
    unfortunately, only you can edit your own posts... well, unless you're a mod or an admin.
    Erik

i will talk to the guy that started this mini-challenge and see if he wants to manage this or i will. ive gone back a few times to look at a mini-challenge and at times i had to go back 5-6 pages...
    you said something about archiving server space...is it possiable that the earlier threads will start to get deleted or might be gone already or anything like that?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 27, 2008
    you said something about archiving server space...is it possiable that the earlier threads will start to get deleted or might be gone already or anything like that?
    No, impossible.

I was saying just that: unlike many forums, we don't archive or delete anything. Every thread from day 1 is still here. nod.gif
    Erik

• rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    hmmm...ok how about mini-challenges get their own sub-forum? The first few pages just get so crazy sometimes...there has to be a good solution to organize things a little more.

-Grant