A Really, Really Dumb Question

chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
edited September 26, 2008 in Cameras
So dumb I'm almost afraid to ask.

When someone says "stop down the aperture", does that mean reduce the aperture value thereby enlarging the opening or does it mean to reduce the opening by increasing the value :dunno?

It's ok, you can go ahead and laugh at me now :giggle.
Chuck Cannova
www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged

Comments

• OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    The way I've always understood it was, when you stop down a lens, you are going to a larger number/smaller aperture and therefore less light. Going from f/8 to f/11 is stopping down. The opposite is opening up; going from f/11 to f/8 is moving towards the smaller number/larger aperture and therefore more light.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    It means to increase the aperture value which reduces the opening.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    If only it were a dumb question :D. I expect that this is one of the most often confused statements we encounter.

I take this to be "increase the value and decrease the size of the opening/light".
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    OhEddie wrote:
    The way I've always understood it was, when you stop down a lens, you are going to a larger number/smaller aperture and therefore less light. Going from f/8 to f/11 is stopping down. The opposite is opening up; going from f/11 to f/8 is moving towards the smaller number/larger aperture and therefore more light.

Yep. Thats it.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Yep. Thats it.

I always find this to be the most useful read on the subject, so keep it close by for review:

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    Wow ... thanks Chip. That's one of the best reads ever on exposure, f stops and all that. I'd highly recommend it.

And thanks to everyone else for clearing all this up. Now I can go on with confidence that I think I know what people are talking about and I actually might know what I'm doing sometimes thumb.gif.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    f/stops are fractions
    This is a lot easier than most people think.

F/stops are fractions. The F stands for the focal length of the lens.

If you're using a 100mm lens then f/8 and f/16 are really 100/8 and 100/16.

If you're using a 35mm lens then f/8 and f/16 are really 35/8 and 35/16.

It's not hard to figure out which one is bigger.

The lens and camera makers just use the denominator to save space. The "f/" is assumed to be understood. Of course, for most, it's not.
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net