Options

keywords on homepage

everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited September 30, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Which setting is concerned with allowing keywords to show up on my homepage? They are not showing up when I click on "Visitor View" and I think I'd like them to.
Thanks!
Michele
michelekendzie.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    Which setting is concerned with allowing keywords to show up on my homepage? They are not showing up when I click on "Visitor View" and I think I'd like them to.
    Thanks!
    If you clicked "show" for the keyword box under the homepage tab they move
    to your homepage. Probably have to click save or update, "Visitor View" might
    not work.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Allen wrote:
    If you clicked "show" for the keyword box under the homepage tab they move
    to your homepage. Probably have to click save or update, "Visitor View" might
    not work.

I've already done that. They show on the homepage for me, but only the title bar--"Top 100 Photos"--shows up when I click on "Visitor View."
    Michele
  • Options
    I've already done that. They show on the homepage for me, but only the title bar--"Top 100 Photos"--shows up when I click on "Visitor View."
    Keywords in unlisted and passworded galleries will not show for your visitors.
    Could that be the reason?
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Keywords in unlisted and passworded galleries will not show for your visitors.
    Could that be the reason?

I considered that, but many of my galleries are set "public." I do have a site password, but the keywords already didn't show up my homepage before I set it.
    Michele
  • Options
    So do my keywords not show to visitors because I have a site password? But the header for that section does show, so it looks kind of silly: a header saying "Top 100 Keywords" followed by nothing.

If I would like to be able to use the keywords myself at least, can I do that without having this empty section on my homepage?
    Michele
  • Options
    Were the keywords intended only for people who want to share their photos with the world? I thought my family and friends might find them useful.
    Michele
  • Options
    Were the keywords intended only for people who want to share their photos with the world? I thought my family and friends might find them useful.
    It destroys the Family experience if you have your Family galleries passworded.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins

I have found that keywords only work for visitors if you have Hello Smuggers turned ON in gallery customization. Logically, I think they did this because the Hellow Smuggers setting controls whether your images are indexed for general searching. If they aren't indexed for general searching, then it seems that keyword actions don't work. It is possible it works slightly different than this, but when I had Hello Smuggers off, I could see keywords when logged in, but not when logged out. I turned it on and then I could see them always.

I'm pretty sure that keywords never work when you have a gallery password and I don't know how they interact with a site password. I would guess that a site password means that they can't possibly index your keywords for general purpose searching so they probably don't work at all.

There appears to be a level of granularity missing for keywords. You can only have them wide open to the world or off. There's no in between which is what you are asking for where you would have them not available in Smugmug searching, perhaps behind a site password, but still work within those confines.

To summarize, I've found that they only work for my viewers if they are totally open to the whole world: no gallery password, no site password, Hello Smuggers enabled.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Allen wrote:
    It destroys the Family experience if you have your Family galleries passworded.

headscratch.gif

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but my family and friends understand the need for me to keep my family pictures private.
    Michele
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    I have found that keywords only work for visitors if you have Hello Smuggers turned ON in gallery customization.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess it is more useful for publicly shared photos to use keywords. My family and friends are usually just interested in the latest gallery of photos.
    Michele
  • Options
    headscratch.gif

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but my family and friends understand the need for me to keep my family pictures private.
    I would love my famliy to be able to select a keyword like grandma and see all
    her photos. But all my family galleries are behind a password so don't work.

Logged in I can see them but not logged out. So they do add them to the
    keyword list when logged in. So they must be indexed or whatever.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    I would love my famliy to be able to select a keyword like grandma and see all
    her photos. But all my family galleries are behind a password so don't work.

Logged in I can see them but not logged out. So they do add them to the
    keyword list when logged in. So they must be indexed or whatever.

It's not exactly a cheap solution, but if you can set up another separate account and put a site-password on it and then make all the albums "public", keywords work great. This is how we're doing things on my son's preschool site. (But yah, free account. Thanks SmugMug!)
  • Options
    serkoserko Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2008
    How can I set up the keyword search on another page other than the homepage? I wantto create a page similar to this http://www.moonriverphotography.com/find