Some Maternity with New D300

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited September 28, 2008 in People
Okay tell me what you think. I shot these a few weeks ago. Only the second time, sorry third time, I've done maternity, but I'd love to do more. I wish I'd turned around the throw pillows. Oh well.

368588102_gFtXa-M.jpg

368591191_ZDtdh-M.jpg

368679889_9P8on-L.jpg

Comments

• CoryJenksCoryJenks Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    #2 is great! Natural smile.
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    Nice
    15524779-Ti.gif

Great smile. I like all three.

On #s 1 & 2, her belly is a different color than the rest of her body. I hope you don't mind, but I brought the pic into PS and did a little color work, just to see if this is something that had to be reshot, or something that could be fixed. I've attached the image if you're interested.

Thanks for posting!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    du8die wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Great smile. I like all three.

On #s 1 & 2, her belly is a different color than the rest of her body. I hope you don't mind, but I brought the pic into PS and did a little color work, just to see if this is something that had to be reshot, or something that could be fixed. I've attached the image if you're interested.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you so much! I had noticed that, too, but I need to learn to use Photoshop. It doesn't help that my version is old and my new Mac doesn't like it. Yes, I know, I need to break down and spend the money on new photo editing software.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    She is gorgeous and you did a great job! I really like her smile on 2 and the perspective/DOF on 3. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    beautiful shots...
    what did you use for lighting if anything at all.
    Number 2 is spectacular. I like the belly color correction as well.
    KoryJ wrote:
    beautiful shots...
    what did you use for lighting if anything at all.
    Number 2 is spectacular. I like the belly color correction as well.

There was a wall of windows behind me, maybe a little flash from my SB600.

368576275_oRMeu-M.jpg

368581650_QVxF8-S.jpg
  • KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    thanks you sweet caroline, gives me hope!
    KoryJ wrote:
    thanks you sweet caroline, gives me hope!

I'm a preschool teacher in real life, so I don't have a lot of equipment yet. I just got the softliter II to put my flash in, and I'm really looking forward to using it. That's the extent of my lighting gear so far. I've been working really hard to learn fast and do more photography jobs since I purchased my D300 at the end of July. Making lots of mistakes, but I think I'm improving.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Caroline
    www.carolinepoe.smugmug.com
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    These are very good. clap.gifI really like the one with the two hands (and rings) and also the first one where she's standing.

I also really appreciate the modesty of them. My wife (6 months pregnant) and I were recently talking about maternity pictures and the odd phenomenon of people having pictures done (to share publicly) that reveal FAR more than they ever would if they weren't pregnant. People can take pictures in whatever poses they want, of course - it just seems odd how some people who would normally consider something immodest change their mind when pregnancy is involved. headscratch.gif
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    I really like all three, great lighting!!clap.gif
    Pupator wrote:
    These are very good. clap.gifI really like the one with the two hands (and rings) and also the first one where she's standing.

I also really appreciate the modesty of them. My wife (6 months pregnant) and I were recently talking about maternity pictures and the odd phenomenon of people having pictures done (to share publicly) that reveal FAR more than they ever would if they weren't pregnant. People can take pictures in whatever poses they want, of course - it just seems odd how some people who would normally consider something immodest change their mind when pregnancy is involved. headscratch.gif

From an artistic standpoint, I love the idea of nude maternity. I posed for a pregnancy progression series when I was pregnant with my first daughter, but as a favor to the photographer, not to show to anyone I know. They were black and white, lots of interesting shadow. But, I hear you. I think the popularity of semi-nude maternity pictures started with the magazines.

Caroline
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    From an artistic standpoint, I love the idea of nude maternity. I posed for a pregnancy progression series when I was pregnant with my first daughter, but as a favor to the photographer, not to show to anyone I know. They were black and white, lots of interesting shadow. But, I hear you. I think the popularity of semi-nude maternity pictures started with the magazines.

Caroline

Right, and I'm not objecting to nude or semi-nude maternity for people who would do nude non-maternity portraits. I just don't get people who would NEVER consider posing nude, except when they're pregnant headscratch.gif
    edited September 28, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Right, and I'm not objecting to nude or semi-nude maternity for people who would do nude non-maternity portraits. I just don't get people who would NEVER consider posing nude, except when they're pregnant headscratch.gif

I don't get it either. Maybe the overwhelming sense of pride and joy makes them feel like showing off. Maybe they feel like it's not even their body anymore. Maybe everyone's seen it done so much that it's just become mainstream in our society.