Advice on which lens to bring to Peru?

wasiganwasigan Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited September 29, 2008 in Landscapes
I'm making my first trip to Peru and would appreciate advice on which lens to bring to minimize weight and maximize good shots of the amazing landscape and streetscape and people. In addition to a good Canon point and shoot, I have a Canon XTi Rebel dSLR with 3 lens - 50mm, 75-300mm tele zoom, and a 100mm macro.

I know this shouldn't be as difficult as I'm probably making it, but if you had to pick only one lens, which would it be? Can I have Machu Picchu and all the interesting faces with just one lens?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    wasigan wrote:
    I'm making my first trip to Peru and would appreciate advice on which lens to bring to minimize weight and maximize good shots of the amazing landscape and streetscape and people. In addition to a good Canon point and shoot, I have a Canon XTi Rebel dSLR with 3 lens - 50mm, 75-300mm tele zoom, and a 100mm macro.

I know this shouldn't be as difficult as I'm probably making it, but if you had to pick only one lens, which would it be? Can I have Machu Picchu and all the interesting faces with just one lens?

Thanks so much!

Don't have an answer for you as I am in the same boat ... so I'm interested in the responses as well. Right now, I have a stabilized Sigma 18-200 that I use as my all-around lens. Not completely thrilled with it, but serves the purpose for when I don't want to lug around too much equipment. At the altitudes will be at in Peru, definitely don't want to carry around too much.
  • wasiganwasigan Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Got a few responses...
    eenusa,
    I posted on the Technique forum, and got 3 consistent responses - "if you had to choose only one lens, it would be the Canon 17-55mm IS EF lens". The cost of that is prohibitive for me now at around $900-1000, but I found a few places to rent it online for about $150-200 including insurance. This may be worth looking into for a possible future purchase.

Have a great trip - I'm looking forward to it!
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    wasigan wrote:
    eenusa,
    I posted on the Technique forum, and got 3 consistent responses - "if you had to choose only one lens, it would be the Canon 17-55mm IS EF lens". The cost of that is prohibitive for me now at around $900-1000, but I found a few places to rent it online for about $150-200 including insurance. This may be worth looking into for a possible future purchase.

Have a great trip - I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for sharing ... I have the Canon 17-85, which came as a kit lens with my 20D ... maybe I'll take that. My concern is that it won't be long enough for wildlife (particularly birds). Don't really want to carry my 100-400L, but maybe I will have to.

Have a terrific trip ... we're not going until April, so I have some time to make a decision.
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    wasigan wrote:

Thanks so much!

None of those would be a good all around lens. Do you have the kit lens? The 50mm (1.8 I assume) weighs nothing so bring that no matter what. Do you have a budget for a possible lens purchase?