Options

T&S -- How to make things small?

2»

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I think you need to pre-compose your shots. That should work better than trying to compose on the fly.

Sorry. Don't understand. Please explain? ne_nau.gif

Pre-compose as in where I'm sitting, or the moments that I'm trying to capture?

Basically, I'm focusing and waiting until the players get to the spot. I tilt/shift, shift/tilkt, go to liveview, move the focus window to the point that I"m interested in, 10x zoom, adjust the focus dial a tad, and wait. and wait. and wait. And then I snap.

Repeat.

When I was trying to track skaters like my normal sports photos, I was getting too dizzy and I wasn't getting the focus.

Do you want to go to a game with me and give me pointers before the lens goes home?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 19, 2008
    The 24 T&S is easier to work with than the 45 and the 90 in my opinion. The DOF is much shallower as the focal lengths get longer, so the possible error in focus becomes more acute. Focusing with Live View will be a big help for that.

I agree that you must pre focus for a specific spot on the ice, and wait for the action to come into that spot. You will find trying to use these lenses like typical lenses that AF normally, very frustrating.

When I use my 24T&S, I stop it down and focus it once for the day as the DOF is large enough that almost everything will be in focus, but that is not true with the 45 or the 90.

Even the 90 T&S is a tripod only lens I believe.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    Hey April, sorry for not getting back to you. But yes. Pre-focus on an area on the ice and get your shot set up. When the action gets there, take your shot.

One thing you might also try is shooting with both eyes open and using the viewfinder and not live view.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?