Apologies DSS8

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited September 29, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am not 100% sure how my image became watermarked, but I have a hunch. I apologize for any trouble it caused with the voting, and especially to Emily as I am sure she had to go through extra work to get the polls straightened out. Lastly for anyone who thought it worthy of a vote.....sorry.

In an effort to keep anyone else from having this issue in the future I will outline how I think it happened.

A month or more ago an admin at www.photographycorner.com asked me about an interview for their smugmug corner series. Aside from the interview, I put together a smugmug gallery of some of my favorite images for them to post alongside the interview. I was to keep the gallery active until after the interview was posted...at which time I would be able to delete it as they would make copies to their own gallery to suit their purpose. I was flattered. The caliber of photographers they interview is very respectable.

Last week I was notified that the interview would be published. On a whim, I decided to put a copy of "Nearsighted" in the gallery for the interview. It would be the only image that was not a portrait of sorts. I made this copy from a gallery that I use only for the purpose of DSS Challenges, and other competitions on the net. After moving the copy I checked the DSS8 entry thread and found my image alive and well. I thought that if I had accidentally moved the original image to a different gallery it would not show at all. As you know the file names of copies in these galleries are the same as the original. I did not think to check the linking info. That interview is here .

Night before last, I published an article to one of my smugmug galleries. It is a "How-To" for high school senior portraits . I then shared it with the "people" section of the Dgrin forum. One of the regular "people" contributors asked if he could post a blurb about the article on his blog. I agreed, and offered him a link to the gallery I had provided for the photographycorner interview to enable him to use an image or two of mine alongside the bit on his blog. At that point, I knew that photographycorner no longer needed the gallery, and so I did a select all and watermarked the images in that gallery. Funny thing is that the images that made it to the other user's blog were copied before the watermarks took effect and were never watermarked. My links to "Nearsighted", however, were inadvertently coming from that gallery....and so "Nearsighted" became watermarked.

I am almost positive this is what happened. I have deleted the gallery for the interview, so have no way to be 100% certain. Last check, "Nearsighted " was still visible in the entry thread. If it disappears I will know for sure!

I copy and move images regularly, and have always moved the second copy that appears in the gallery. This has proven the correct way to do it in the past. Somehow, I moved the original, and it remained linked.

I hope this is a clear explanation of what went wrong and can help someone else in the future. I hope you can also see that it was in no way meant as ill will, but rather that my intentions in these actions were in fact meant as contributory in nature to the photographic communities that I respect.

Comments

• WacrerWacrer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    And still
    You had my vote :) Excellent work, votes or no!
    Full Circle Photography, Inc.

Scott McPherson

www.fortecinema.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    Wacrer wrote:
    You had my vote :) Excellent work, votes or no!
    you almost had my vote, top 3 =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    oh man, i had something like that happen....except the watermark was that big "PROOF" watermark.....and i think everyone thought i thought my shot was so special i had put the proof watermark on it....hahaha....

anyway, to bad man, but everyone knows you didnt do anything with intentions of breaking rules or trying to cause problems.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    I think Aaron secretly hacked your account and posted the watermark! rolleyes1.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Travis wrote:
    I think Aaron secretly hacked your account and posted the watermark! rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    Travis wrote:

:banned

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    No worries from my end, Jeff, I just wish it wasn't so. Awesome image regardless iloveyou.gif , and I am so thankful for you understanding. You definitely have the right spirit. clap.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Jeffraux, one thing that is entirely clear is that you are a class act as well as terrific photographer. thumb.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    No worries from my end, Jeff, I just wish it wasn't so. Awesome image regardless iloveyou.gif , and I am so thankful for you understanding. You definitely have the right spirit. clap.gif

Well just so I am not misunderstood...I am SICK that the image became watermarked...by whatever means. Being Dq'd because of that I FULLY understand. By your remarks, I am left to believe that you had a tougher time with that decision than I would have.

Don't sweat it.

I am just wondering since I deleted the gallery I believe it to be linked to....why is it still in the entry thread?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    Jeff,

You're a class act, my friend. I'm sorry this happened to you.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ...I hope you can also see that it was in no way meant as ill will...
    Jeff, anyone who has been here for more than a day knew immediately it was unintentional. Sorry it happened to you, it's a great shot.thumb.gif
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    That's a really unfortunate set of circumstances, however, congrats on your interview that's pretty cool.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    What a terrible and unfortunate outcome. It could have happened to any of us. Nothing can take away the fact that your image was absolutely phenomenal take on the theme, and was a serious contender if not front-runner.

I hate the way smugmug copies photos in a gallery; the way it functions, it is not clear which one was the copy and which one was the original. :uhoh
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers