Options

No Cropping Please!

nrshapironrshapiro Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 21, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Please tell me there's a way to do this and I'll be forever a Smugmug customer.

The new cart is nice but I never want to sell a customer a size that needs cropping. Yet that's pretty hard for me to manage since I do sell a variety of sizes and aspect ratios. I don't want to have to set prices for each photo separately, it would be enormously time consuming.

Customers find the number of products, if you allow for "all possibilities" overwhelming, and most don't really understand the downside of "needs cropping in checkout".

For example, I'm loading a gallery now, where I'm trying to crop most to 8x10, but many will still have to be 3:2 ratio just because of the way I composed in camera, and some (group shots) need to be 2:1. I don't want the customer to have to figure out what the right print size is!

So I was delighted to see "Hide photos that need cropping" in the new cart. But customers may not even see that. I really really really need the ability to set my galleries to default to that.

Is there a way? I hope I hope. Pretty please?
:)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Customer satisfaction went up through the roof when we put the crop tool in the cart years ago. For you pros, no need to worry! Use our Proof Delay feature.
    Proof Delay allows you to review the order before it's sent to print,
    make corrections and changes to the cropping as well as auto versus true
    color. Best of all, you have the opportunity to totally replace any
    image that is ordered, with your choice of a replacement, still allowing
    you to adjust the crop and color setting after replacing it. For more
    info on this, please see the links below which would eliminate any
    problems in the future:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Proof+Delay
  • Options
    nrshapironrshapiro Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2008
    Thanks Andy--I know about that and already have used it. But it doesn't really solve the problem I stated.

I don't know many Landscape or fine art photographers who want to give their customers the ability to crop. That's my main area, though now I'm doing people too -- and I'm finding dealing with aspect ratios and having a clean product gallery showing all the products is really cumbersome there too.

I have no objection to including the crop tool for pros or customers who want it. I just want a way to set the DEFAULT for a gallery so that my customers at least initially see only the products that match the aspect ratio I have uploaded.

If I upload something in 2x3 aspect ratio, it greatly simplifies the number of products the customer has to look through in the cart, and improves the quality of the result, if they on;y see 2x3, 4x6, 8x12, etc. More importantly, when I upload a group shot at 2:1 ratio, I don't want customers to have to figure out what matches through all the other ratios! There are only a few print products that are appropriate.

The feature to show only matching products is already there. It's just buried in a place most customers won't see. And there's no way I can set my galleries up to default that way. That's all I want.

The beauty of smugmug pro is in it's customizability--so it gives you convenience while letting you have it your way. Really, this is a killer deal for me. As much as I like the convenience of smugmug, this just makes it unattractive and undesirable.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    nrshapiro wrote:
    The feature to show only matching products is already there.
    Could be tough but I'll surely ask! Thanks for giving us the suggstion.
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Cropping, Shipping Questions
    Andy wrote:
    Customer satisfaction went up through the roof when we put the crop tool in the cart years ago. For you pros, no need to worry! Use our Proof Delay feature.
    Proof Delay allows you to review the order before it's sent to print,
    make corrections and changes to the cropping as well as auto versus true
    color. Best of all, you have the opportunity to totally replace any
    image that is ordered, with your choice of a replacement, still allowing
    you to adjust the crop and color setting after replacing it. For more
    info on this, please see the links below which would eliminate any
    problems in the future:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Proof+Delay
    Andy, I am getting ready to place an order for several large prints ASAP as logged-in Owner. I read the following statement in your Pro Proof links:
    "On orders that don't make a profit (orders placed when you are logged in or in galleries with no image pricing in place) the order does not appear in sales details and cannot be modified. Therefore, we send these orders straight to process and print, even if proof-delay is set for the gallery." I have a few questions:
    1. Stupid Question - I want the option to crop before printing, even though ordered as Owner. I assume the statement quoted doesn't preclude that option, does it?
    2. Regardless of Proofing days set, will order be processed immediately on clicking SHIP IT?
    3. IMPORTANT! I have a deadline to meet for receiving prints. What are shipping options and how quickly can I get delivery after SHIP IT?
    Regards,
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Andy, I am getting ready to place an order for several large prints ASAP as logged-in Owner. I read the following statement in your Pro Proof links:
    "On orders that don't make a profit (orders placed when you are logged in or in galleries with no image pricing in place) the order does not appear in sales details and cannot be modified. Therefore, we send these orders straight to process and print, even if proof-delay is set for the gallery." I have a few questions:
    1. Stupid Question - I want the option to crop before printing, even though ordered as Owner. I assume the statement quoted doesn't preclude that option, does it?
    2. Regardless of Proofing days set, will order be processed immediately on clicking SHIP IT?
    3. IMPORTANT! I have a deadline to meet for receiving prints. What are shipping options and how quickly can I get delivery after SHIP IT?
    Regards,
    Your order, logged in as owner, will go immediately, no proof delay and no cropping by you after the order is placed.

Shipping: http://www.smugmug.com/prints/shipping.mg
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Your order, logged in as owner, will go immediately, no proof delay and no cropping by you after the order is placed.

Shipping: http://www.smugmug.com/prints/shipping.mg
    Thanks, Andy. I know I have a good Crop Tool in galleries...which is what I will use. Make a duplicate and crop, right?
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. I know I have a good Crop Tool in galleries...which is what I will use. Make a duplicate and crop, right?
    Sure that'll work :D
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sure that'll work :D

No, No, No, That doesn't make any sense. Yes it will work, but it's not needed.

After you place everything in the shopping cart, click check out. On the next screen you can adjust all your crops just like a customer can. All you can't do is change the crop once the order is completed.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    No, No, No, That doesn't make any sense. Yes it will work, but it's not needed.

After you place everything in the shopping cart, click check out. On the next screen you can adjust all your crops just like a customer can. All you can't do is change the crop once the order is completed.
    Hi, John
    Thanks greatly for your reply. When I posted earlier, I had not yet tried to order Owner prints and must have been really, really tired :D. After looking at the Smugmug Help/Cropping page, it is perfectly clear ...cropping at Shopping Cart is available for all orders. Good to know that pre-cropped duplicates are not needed.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    l4pil4pi Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Can a customer see crops applied on a delayed order?
    I know this is an old thread, but can't seem to find and answer to a question and this was the closest one in the search I could find......

Customer ordered 5 x7 and 8x 10's and did not crop them leaving white on the two sides. I know I can crop them as they were proof delayed, but is there a way for her to log back into her order and see the crops that I applied before they are printed. I would feel a lot better if she had a chance to see and approve the crop before I submit them

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    l4pi wrote:
    I know this is an old thread, but can't seem to find and answer to a question and this was the closest one in the search I could find......

Customer ordered 5 x7 and 8x 10's and did not crop them leaving white on the two sides. I know I can crop them as they were proof delayed, but is there a way for her to log back into her order and see the crops that I applied before they are printed. I would feel a lot better if she had a chance to see and approve the crop before I submit them

Thanks
    No, she can't see your crops online, sorry :(

Make them. If she's not happy for any reason, Our Guarantee covers you!

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/our-guarantee.mg
  • Options
    l4pil4pi Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Thanks Andy.

I just wanted to save everyone that hassle if she is not happy. You know how those moms are when it comes to the cheerleading daughters....lol.

BTW, the guarantee has saved me on one occasion and it is a very nice perk to have, just did not want to abuse it.
    Andy wrote:
    No, she can't see your crops online, sorry :(

Make them. If she's not happy for any reason, Our Guarantee covers you!

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/our-guarantee.mg