Changes to CPS (Canon Professional Service)

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Cameras
Don't know if this belongs here... please move if there is a better place:

CPS changes

Silver
  • Welcome Kit
  • CPS phone hot line
  • 20% discount on repairs
Gold
  • Access to loan equipment for two weeks
  • 30% discount on repairs
  • 2 free check & clean services
  • 3 day expedited turn around on repairs
  • $100 annual fee
Platinum
  • Priority access to loan equipment for two weeks
  • 60% discount on repairs
  • 2 day expedited turn around on repairs with equipment loan if repairs are longer than 2 days
  • $500 annual fee

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Good stuff, April. Thanks.
    BTW, Laughing.gif @ Welcome Kit lol3.gif

It's a folder with your CPS card and some repair forms lol3.gif
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    I didn't even know that Canon had a program like this, I'll have to try applying when they re-open membership once this program launches. Thanks for the info!
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    Shima the application process was pretty tough, I can't remember exactly, but I think you needed 2 "L" lenses and a 1 Series Camera just to start the process.

I am not a member myself, but I do plan a applying along with you! ;)
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    From the CPS site itself.
    To be eligible for membership of CPS, you need to:
    • Be a full-time professional photographer *
    • Own/use and register with CPS two or more eligible Canon EOS professional bodies ** and three or more L-series EF lenses which have been purchased from an authorised Canon Professional Dealer in Australia or New Zealand.
    * A full-time photographer is defined as someone who generates the majority of their income from photography and who operates through a registered business.

** Currently the eligible models are: EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1D Mark IIN, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1V.
    EOS-5D bodies may be registered, but benefits for this model will be limited to priority serving. A minimum of at least one EOS-1 series model is required to register an EOS-5D

Yikes!
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney
    That is not listed for the USA.... I think that Canon had more then they intended from the US.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
    Bummer! I'll soon have a 5dMkII but no plans for any 1d's....

And I am not a full time :( Just a very busy part time photographer!

I'm getting at least one more L lens when I get the 5DMkII so I'll have at least 2-3 at that point... but yeah, sadness.

Ah well, was a nice dream while it lasted!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Shima the application process was pretty tough, I can't remember exactly, but I think you needed 2 "L" lenses and a 1 Series Camera just to start the process.
    Sorry, that is somewhat wrong. The part about the specific camera and lens is just a rumor (it was a question asked and told was a lie). And membership is only tough if you are not a professional photographer and quite easy if you are one. :D
    To be eligible for membership of CPS, you need to:
    • Be a full-time professional photographer *
    • Own/use and register with CPS two or more eligible Canon EOS professional bodies ** and three or more L-series EF lenses which have been purchased from an authorised Canon Professional Dealer in Australia or New Zealand.
    * A full-time photographer is defined as someone who generates the majority of their income from photography and who operates through a registered business.

** Currently the eligible models are: EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1D Mark IIN, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1V.
    EOS-5D bodies may be registered, but benefits for this model will be limited to priority serving. A minimum of at least one EOS-1 series model is required to register an EOS-5D
    This is closer, but not quite right for the US either.

In the previous incarnation for the US, there were only two requirements that people were or were not aware of for CPS membership. You must be a professional that derived at least 51% of your income from photography and you must own some pro equipment listed on the CPS application. CPS is designed for working professionals using canon equipment. The previous program only provided faster repairs and loaner equipment and provided no other benefits (no discounts, special privileges, special service, etc. ).

The canon rebel family is not considered a pro level body and would not quality; the 40D is acceptable body, but don't try a 40d with general 18-55 kit lens. After all, CPS is for professionals who earn income with the gear! CPS is not for the person with 40D and 70-200 who shoots his/her kids on the weekend for fun nor is it for the person who just owns a lot of glass with a 5D. Owning top notch equipment and making money from it are two different things. Even owning 1D bodies does not guarantee membership; canon is looking for a professional earning $$.

And the 51% of the income is loosely define. You can hold a day job and be a successful published weekend sports shooter and still qualify for CPS.

You must prove that you're a professional photographer by submitting mixture of supporting material such as multiple examples of tear sheets, media passes, credentials, letters from the bureau chief, samples of recent works, invoices, promotional material, corp. tax ID number, professional membership associations, etc. And membership is renewed yearly (translation -- you need to prove it every yet by resubmitting material). And the more supporting material that you provide, the better your odds of getting in. Canon understands that many people are freelancers -- you just have to provide more things (4+ items of proof). And if you're a professional photographer, this should be extremely easy

But the point is moot anyways since they're not accepting any more applications right now. I was told that they (canon) was trying to consolidate the various CPS organization (US, Europe, etc.) since they were all separate and I think this change is directly related to that desire. Before, if you were a CPS member in the US, was on assignment in Europe and had camera/lens issues, you would not get expedited service from Canon Europe since the CPS membership was different. Also, the canon US does not currently have a CPS website but are working on it.

If you're really interested in CPS, you should be able to find an old copy of the application on the web somewhere. For a longest time, there was a really old scanned of fax floating around in interweb space and it's probably still out there.

Note: I learned the info on the old CPS program directly from a canon pro rep about two months ago -- he supports the professional photographers in the western US and various big events such as the superbowl.

Personally, I think the CPS will be more strict on the documentation or might require more examples since the program not has the added benefit of discounts on repairs! I think I'll the pro rep the next time that i see him. headscratch.gif

If I see him again, do you have any questions? ear.gif

Good luck in applying.
    edited September 28, 2008
    Thanks for the detailed response! I look forward to applying when the application process opens.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
    edited November 6, 2008
    Details on the CPS requirements.

Canon CPS linky

The equipment list is interesting due to what was left off, but I think it's because canon isn't supporting those bodies/lenses anymore.
    edited March 4, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap It's open! It's open! It's open!!!! clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

CPS

For those who want to save a click, Apply for new membership here

I don't know if the terms of membership is still the same... Can someone go through the process and post?

edited:
    Benefits seem to be the same.
    485257976_o2iZi-L.jpg

Also, phone details:
    Canon Pro Services
    877 277 8122
    1 for repairs
    2 for membership info or renewals
    3 for loan requests
    4 for Technician Assistance
    edited March 4, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    edited:
    Benefits seem to be the same.
    485257976_o2iZi-L.jpg

In, platinum level. Pretty smooth process.
    edited March 4, 2009
    So although it says full-time photographer, when you're doing the application it asks if you do full time or part time... so I clicked the part-time button and clicked next and it let me continue applying (which is interesting since I thought it was going to kick me out at that point).

I agree with Andy, very smooth process. I did Gold (my one 5d2 doesn't qualify me for platinum anyway).
    edited July 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    BTW, Laughing.gif @ Welcome Kit lol3.gif

It's a folder with your CPS card and some repair forms lol3.gif
    Check that. For the top level, they send out:

* Think Tank Glass Taxi Pack, and Chimp Cage pack - all with CPS Logo.

* body caps, lens rear caps

* Two really, really nice camera straps

* EF Lens Work III Hardcover Edition (link to pdf).

* Bunch of other odds and ends, all nice stuff!

WTG, Canon clap.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Check that. For the top level, they send out:

* Think Tank Glass Taxi Pack, and Chimp Cage pack - all with CPS Logo.

* body caps, lens rear caps

* Two really, really nice camera straps

* EF Lens Work III Hardcover Edition (link to pdf).

* Bunch of other odds and ends, all nice stuff!

WTG, Canon clap.gif

Well, what is Canon saying about pros??? ... that they are absent-minded snobs, have two necks, don't know what they're doing, and are charmed by trinkets!!!!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix