Having trouble with DSS #9?

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited September 28, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I truly wanted these challenges to span to most types of photography - this one included. From a few of the comments I've read, it seems that the majority feel this particular challenge is about sunsets and sunrises.

"Dusk or Dawn" is about the light at dusk or dawn. Yes, sunsets and sunrises will definitely work, but a portrait taken during the "golden hour", or a robin on the lawn at dawn, will also work equally well.

Dusk and dawn are typically known as the best times of day to shoot due to the wonderful quality of light. However, exposure can also be tricky due to the lower light situations. Knowing and using your camera's full abilities is what it takes. Also, thinking about composition without cropping is a key as well.

If you're struggling with this one, or feel that weather is not on your side for an awesome sunset, think outside of that box. :thumb
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    What I did, because I wasn't sure exactly when Dusk and Dawn were, I looked it up.

From Wikipedia:

Dusk:

Dusk refers to the period of time following sunset. Although commonly confused with twilight, dusk is the time frame that occurs either before or after a twilight - when the sky is still generally bright and blue, but there is no sun to accompany it.
    Civil dusk is the time at which the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon in the evening. At this time objects are distinguishable and some stars and planets are visible to the naked eye.
    Nautical dusk is when the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon in the evening. At this time, objects are no longer distinguishable, and the horizon is no longer visible to the naked eye.
    Astronomical dusk is the time at which the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon in the evening. At this time the sun no longer illuminates the sky, and thus no longer interferes with astronomical observations.
    Dusk should not be confused with sunset, which is the moment when the trailing edge of the Sun itself sinks below the horizon.

Dawn:

Dawn refers to the twilight before sunrise. It is recognized by the presence of weak sunlight, while the sun itself is still below the horizon. There are also more technical definitions of dawn, including the following:
    Astronomical dawn
    the moment after which the sky is no longer completely dark, formally defined as the time at which the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon in the morning.
    Nautical dawn
    the time at which there is just enough sunlight for the horizon and some objects to be distinguishable, formally defined as the time at which the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon in the morning.
    Civil dawn
    that time at which there is enough light for objects to be distinguishable and that outdoor activities can commence, formally defined as the time at which the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon in the morning.
    Dawn should not be confused with sunrise, which is the moment when the leading edge of the sun itself appears above the horizon.

So going by these definitions, any shot when the sun is up should be thrown out cause it's a sunrise or sunset.
    There would be no "Golden Hour" to shoot in.

I'm not a judge, and by reading Emily's post, sunrise and sunsets shots are going to be allowed.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Dave,

I specifically linked these definitions in the entry thread:

The topics ready for your interpretation: Dusk or Dawn

So yes, that says sunsets and sunrises to me.
    Emily

I guess it depends on what encyclopedia you look at.

In the first post, when I read it, I just thought you used bold and underline to make the topics stand out.
    I didn't even think to see if they were links.
    dave.

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    "Dusk or Dawn" is about the light at dusk or dawn. Yes, sunsets and sunrises will definitely work, but a portrait taken during the "golden hour", or a robin on the lawn at dawn, will also work equally well.

15524779-Ti.gif Dats wat I tawt.

JJM
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    dang it...i was hoping all the enteries that included the actual sun was going to be pasted by in judging because they are off topic....

i was in debate of using a little star in my shot because of what i thought was dawn-dusk....

so let me understand, simply sunrise & sunsets golden hour before and after actual sunrise & sunset is ok.
    Aaron Nelson
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I've had a few ideas, but frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it because we are being seriously stormed out this week so I can't try any of them out! I tried to think sideways, but the best "out of the box" idea I've had so far unfortunately required certain flowers to be in bloom, and that one panned out too because they finished their autumn showing about 3 weeks ago. I'll just keep thinking, I guess, but I'm so smitten by the bug that I want to shoot something NOW and haven't yet come up with *anything* that will be theme-valid yet!! Wahhh! ;)

I'm just crossing fingers at the moment that photography doesn't get completely overtaken by other events this week, as we discovered a leak in our kitchen from the rain about an hour ago .......

In any case, thanks for the encouragement!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    I truly wanted these challenges to span to most types of photography - this one included. From a few of the comments I've read, it seems that the majority feel this particular challenge is about sunsets and sunrises.

Dusk and dawn are typically known as the best times of day to shoot due to the wonderful quality of light. However, exposure can also be tricky due to the lower light situations. Knowing and using your camera's full abilities is what it takes. Also, thinking about composition without cropping is a key as well.

If you're struggling with this one, or feel that weather is not on your side for an awesome sunset, think outside of that box. thumb.gif

Ok....I have been thinking on this for quite some time now...and I have something completely different then what I am seeing posted. If my thinking outside of the box doesn't have the sun in it directly...but has the essence of light of either dawn or dusk...does that count? Also if the light might be artificial in nature is that acceptable and does it have to be taken at a certain time frame in morning or night?

We have had rotten weather here (rain and clouds) although today the sun came up...but it was below freezing and I am just getting over pnuemonia...you can see I am limited at the moment.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Ok, once again, getting way too nit-picky here. Does it say Dusk or Dawn to you? If so, go with it. No, I am not going to cross check your exif with your timezone and specific sunrise/sunset schedule. The idea is to interpret the theme artistically. Yes, for a lot of themes, I personally take them very literally, but this one I want to be wide open. Now, go shoot! :D
    Emily

Dusk or Dawn to a Vampire is OK, Sunrise and Sunset not so good. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

You know I'm just kidding around right?
    dave.

• bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Living in Utah, in a large valley next to a salty lake with very large MOUNTAINS, both to the east and to the west, if you look at a sunrise or sunset (where you can see the sun) from one viewing location, a few miles away it will be twilight (where you can't see the sun), at the same time of day. That's because the sun will either be lower than the mountain tops, or higher than the mountain tops, depending on where you are viewing. But it has no effect on whether it is dawn or dusk, unless you really, really, want to get technical.

Also, just because it's cloudy or raining doesn't mean that the sun doesn't rise or set. I can't find in any of the definitions given where it says that you have to be able to see the sun in order to have a dawn or dusk :):

Just my thoughts...