Options

Selling Photographs of athletes

CreativesifuCreativesifu Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 14, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Preparing for my first complete season of shooting college sports semi-professionally. I'm not talking about big time college athletics, I'm talking D-2, D-3 & NAIA the small schools. If I had a website... and yes I have a press pass and I will have model releases if I need them. I would not identify athletes by name, the parent or student would have to tell me what image number(s) they want or what game(s) they want.

If I don't use a pic of an athlete in the ad campaign:

Next year I would also like to do posed photos during Media Day or before the game.

Can I sell photos of an athlete as part of CD from the game? I.e. State vs. Tech.

Can I sell band photos and throw the actual game photos in with the CD package? I.e. State band vs Tech band CD.

I guess I am confused how I can sell pics to the conference, alumni association, magazine or newspaper, but people tell me I can't sell pics to the parents or students. I mean geez they are the reason the pics were taken in the first place.
:dunno

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 2, 2005
    Creative,

I moved your thread to this forum. It seems to be more related to business, even though you are talking about selling sports pics. :D

Plus, the people that can give you guidance will likely see it here.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Creative, who's telling you you can't sell pix to parents?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    CreativesifuCreativesifu Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Love my kids!
    Note: Names have been deleted to protect the innocent

This year I kinda fell in love with sports shooting, and I focused my efforts on my Alma Mater.

I was on the list for press passes. So I thought I could do pretty much what I wanted with my images.

I was unsure about NCAA rules so I didn't try to sell any photos on purpose. I.e. I passed out business cards, but didn't make any ads featuring athletes, cheerleaders, or coaches.

Some people at the school are saying that they have control over the images of their athletes.

Some say I couldn't make a school trading card. With or without school logos.

Ok, understand that I am not going to make 200 different trading cards of alll of the kids at my school. A kid or parent would have to request that I make a card.

Two, I will have my pic in the ad. With no school clothing on.

I.E. I'll print only one athlete per order.

School official said I would have to get appoval for every card sold.

Also if a Coach buys cards with their pic on it, can I use it in my portfolio.

email me for sample of trading card. I can make a better trading card I just want to see if its legal first.