Options

Problem with Slideshow

PATBPATB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 30, 2008 in SmugMug Support
When I click on slideshow, I get the "Press Esc To Exit Full Screen" message and nothing happens. If I press ESC and try slideshow again, it will eventually work. I tried this on two different Vista/IE computers and I get the same results.

Is there any way around this?

www.monochromemoments.com (patb.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    PATB wrote:
    When I click on slideshow, I get the "Press Esc To Exit Full Screen" message and nothing happens. If I press ESC and try slideshow again, it will eventually work. I tried this on two different Vista/IE computers and I get the same results.

I'm sorry for the trouble! IE6 or IE7, and is it just certain galleries?

Have you waited a while to see if it's just slow to load?

-Anne
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    PATB wrote:

Also, can you do steps 1-7 here

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88954

thanks
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    Andy, I cannot find steps 1-7 in that link.

Actually, I can't use slideshow on other people's sites too. I am going to check a third computer (a Mac) to see if the problem persists. I cannot believe I cannot run slideshow on three different Vista computers.
  • Options
    geanmichaelsgeanmichaels Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    PATB wrote:

Actually, I can't use slideshow on other people's sites too. I am going to check a third computer (a Mac) to see if the problem persists. I cannot believe I cannot run slideshow on three different Vista computers.

You too?

I've been struggling with this on 6 Vista IE7 machines. Thought we had everything figured out... now today, two are doing the same thing as before. I figure I'll just sit back and do nothing for awhile.

(Only way we got 4 working was to uninstall all the microsoft updates prior to Sept 8th).

Bother. Just to get slideshow to work from the gallery button on those machines. They'll do fine on an external sharelink.

-
  • Options
    PATB wrote:

• Options
    You too?

I've been struggling with this on 6 Vista IE7 machines. Thought we had everything figured out... now today, two are doing the same thing as before. I figure I'll just sit back and do nothing for awhile.

(Only way we got 4 working was to uninstall all the microsoft updates prior to Sept 8th).

Bother. Just to get slideshow to work from the gallery button on those machines. They'll do fine on an external sharelink.

-
    Got to be something blocking flash on your machines. Can you do steps 1-7 again here?
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    We've got a fix in place that should make it work for all IE7 installs, some are failing. Give us a day (hopefully less) to get this on the site.

Sorry!

Hee... I may be learning to sit back and do nothing...nod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    Hee... I may be learning to sit back and do nothing...nod.gifnod.gif
    Yeah I'm not sure that's your issue .. :cry
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Got to be something blocking flash on your machines. Can you do steps 1-7 again here?

Nah... works fine on everything else. Been there done that. Gonna sit back and wait.... tired of fooling with it.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Andy, I'm having the same problem. The fullscreen slideshow does not work on my two Vista systems, but works on my XP system. I have the latest driver. It works as a shared file (in a window). The Adobe fullscreen demo works.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    Well, I can fix this on my Vista machines all I want but I doubt my visitors will do on their machines. FWIW, I have no trouble running Flickr slideshows on any computer.

BTW, no problem running the slideshows on a Mac.
  • Options
    Results of steps 1-7
    1) Version: WIN 9,0,124,0; Debug player: No.
    2) Windows Vista Home Premium; IE 7
    3) Direct Gallery Link: All smugmug galleries (including other people's galleries); Here is one of mine http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/5983666_cV9di#374354157_F8sRv
    4) I cannot use that gallery.
    5) I can see this gallery (share link)
    6) I can see the full screen at Adobe's full screen test.
    7) Does not apply (can see Adobe's full screen test).

The above is from one Vista computer.
  • Options
    SFjrSFjr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2008
    Also having problems viewing slideshow...
    I created a new gallery last night and also found out that the slideshow function will no longer work on my two Vista PCs. One has SP1, the other does not.

Is this a Vista or an IE7 issue?
  • Options
    Hi Folks, we just found out that this is a bug w/ Adobe Flash:
    http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-395

We're aiming for a workaround until Adobe fixes their bug, hopefully we'll have that soon.

Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    The fix is out and live (sorry, no fullscreen - popup window for now), would love reports on if it has been fixed for anyone?
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks, we just found out that this is a bug w/ Adobe Flash:
    http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-395

We're aiming for a workaround until Adobe fixes their bug, hopefully we'll have that soon.

Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2008
    {JT} wrote:
    The fix is out and live (sorry, no fullscreen - popup window for now), would love reports on if it has been fixed for anyone?

How do I convert the full screen slideshow button to do a pop-up instead?
  • Options
    {JT} wrote:
    clap.gif Yay! So far so good on the one VIE7 laptop with the chronic problem. My VIE7 desktop also appears ok. XPIE6 desktop also OK. Will get some reports from the other affected machines later on.
    {JT} wrote:
    no fullscreen - popup window for now
    Strange; Just an observation: some of the galleries I checked appear to be going full screen... others don't... doesn't appear to be related to caching.... thought at first it was the img size last viewed, or largest size allowed, but more or less seems random...

Also, another observation: the hardware acceleration setting in the player, some of my screwy customizing, and some of other fixes or attempts I / we had found, appeared only as temporary "fixes". The apparently 'cured' affected machines we tried them on would shortly revert to their "default" mwink.gif "press esc to exit full screen" behavior.

Looks like JT and the Gnomes have it nailed for now!

JT: Good Job! Thanks for helping on a bizarre, weird, highly specific problem!

Andy; Barb; Thanks for your patience with me during all my ranting...ne_nau.gif

Mike

-
  • Options
    Lynn Fisher PhotographyLynn Fisher Photography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    centering slideshow?
    Hi,
    for some reason I cannot get my slideshow to be centered on the front page? It hangs out on the left of the gray square. any ideas?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    Hi,
    for some reason I cannot get my slideshow to be centered on the front page? It hangs out on the left of the gray square. any ideas?
    Add this to your CSS

#userBio {text-align: center;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    PATB wrote:
    How do I convert the full screen slideshow button to do a pop-up instead?

You can't - at least not very easily.

The slideshow really is a complicated thing and we try our best to do the full screen experience whenever possible. The popup is for browsers that can't handle it or have an older version of flash.

As soon as Adobe and or MS figure out the bug mentioned above, Vista IE users will be going back to the full screen experience.
  • Options
    Lynn Fisher PhotographyLynn Fisher Photography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    Allen wrote:
    Add this to your CSS

#userBio {text-align: center;}

THANK YOU!clap.gif
  • Options
    {JT} wrote:
    You can't - at least not very easily.

The slideshow really is a complicated thing and we try our best to do the full screen experience whenever possible. The popup is for browsers that can't handle it or have an older version of flash.

As soon as Adobe and or MS figure out the bug mentioned above, Vista IE users will be going back to the full screen experience.

Thanks JT.