Options

Workflow/Storage

gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited September 29, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm an amature photographer dabbeling in weddings, children, seniors, etc. My computer is running out of memory. I have been backing stuff up on a hard drive, and I upload all my galleries to smugmug. (not the vault, but to the site.)

I just purchased smugvault, but do I really need it? If anything happens to my photos, I can purchase a CD off the website right? Which I probably wouldn't ever need to do, because I give my clients CD's of their images, and tell them they are responsible for protecting and archiving the images.

Can I not get smugvault and start deleting things off of my computer such as weddings that are uploaded to smugmug?

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Sure, but the problem with smugvault is that IF you lost all your photos in a hard drive crash, it would take a long time to download them all from the web. Best bet is to use SV as your backup for major emergency, like say your house buring down will all your computer stuff.

Hard drives are cheap, you can get a 500GB external drive for about $100-$120 now, and simply plug it in your USB port and save the images to that. In fact, I buy the little Western Digital Passport drives, backup to those and leave them in my safe.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Sure, but the problem with smugvault is that IF you lost all your photos in a hard drive crash, it would take a long time to download them all from the web. Best bet is to use SV as your backup for major emergency, like say your house buring down will all your computer stuff.

Hard drives are cheap, you can get a 500GB external drive for about $100-$120 now, and simply plug it in your USB port and save the images to that. In fact, I buy the little Western Digital Passport drives, backup to those and leave them in my safe.

Actually, you can get 1TB for $120 now, even less for the earlier generation 750GB drives. It was 30 cents/GB a few years ago, now down to almost 10 cents / GB.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Re-Organizing My Portfolio
    All righty. I need to re-organize my portfolio into subjects like, skycrapers, landscapes, bicycles, etc. I have 26 galleries. Does anyone know of a fast and efficient way to organize these photos? Is there a way in SmugMug to move photos from one gallery to a new gallery? Any ideas, advice, sympathy anything is appreciated.
    headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    All righty. I need to re-organize my portfolio into subjects like, skycrapers, landscapes, bicycles, etc. I have 26 galleries. Does anyone know of a fast and efficient way to organize these photos? Is there a way in SmugMug to move photos from one gallery to a new gallery? Any ideas, advice, sympathy anything is appreciated.
    headscratch.gif

I won't touch the first question, but I'm sure others will.

It's easy to move photos among galleries in SmugMug. Go into the gallery, and select the "Move to Other Gallery" or "Move to Other Galleries" tool. They're pretty intuitive.
    John Bongiovanni