Black Widow with lunch

AhzdeeenAhzdeeen Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited October 1, 2008 in Holy Macro
Was outside watering plants this evening when i almost stepped right on this large black widow that had spun a web on some potted plants. I decided to grab some of the large house flies we have inside and give her a meal to try and get some shots..I kinda feel guilty...poor flies. But if they stayed in the house the cat would eat them :D No cropping in any of the shots, and only a small amount of post process work (some sharpen, and expose) Any comments always welcome!

2893956573_70cc8de85b_b.jpg
2893956531_23bf4d191a_b.jpg
2893956429_286f5b8cb7_b.jpg

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 29, 2008
    interesting spider, black is always hard to expose right.
    like #2 best. any shots from front end?
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Good ones- odd you should mention the cat- #2 has a cat-like face at the top. Must admit I'm not sure if i#d be happy to find one of these (very unlikely in the UK).
    Brian V,
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    All I have to say is you have balls to get that close. I don't even like using my macro to get close to the non poisonous ones.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • AhzdeeenAhzdeeen Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Thanks for comments everyone! I tried to get her to turn over so I could get some top side shots, but all she was interested in was the flies. And Mnemosyne, to be honest, all the black widows I've come across in my yard (more than I really want to see to be honest), none of them has acted aggressive...they seem to be some of the more passive spiders I have to deal with in the course of doing yard work.
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I don't care if they're aggressive or not :) I just hate spiders period. Even those little tiny jumping ones. They all creep me out. All that hair, and 8 eyes that look wherever they please. Creepy.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat