Options

Mount Washington Wedding

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited October 1, 2008 in Weddings
I was thrilled to get the chance to photograph a wedding at the summit of Mount Washington - the highest point in the Northeastern US.

Not much value to this shot, other than the fact we are leaving home at 1.18 AM - the wedding is to be at sunrise

381949187_yoc6z-L.jpg

We were driven to the summit in shuttle buses via the famous Mount Washington Auto Road

381949260_bthYy-L.jpg

Some idiot (me) at the summit

381949222_a29F3-L.jpg

The Groom

381949164_DztSe-L.jpg

The original plan had been for an outdoor ceremony but the wind and fog ruled it out. Incidentally, the highest surface wind speed ever recorded was at Mount Washington - 231 mph.

381949294_v3LXc-L.jpg

At the summit. Even the wind was nowhere near the record, it was still difficult to hold still while standing on a rock.

381949322_g4W6C-L.jpg

381949351_7VmHf-L.jpg

381949374_4LnWK-L.jpg

The bride and groom had intended to hike down from the mountain. This was in doubt for a while due to the weather, but they decided to go ahead. Amelia and I went as well.

381949547_Bm5M4-L.jpg

Once we got lower and out of the clouds, the sky started to get much more interesting

381949577_6mRBi-L.jpg

And the views are spectacular

381949611_JGese-L.jpg

Amelia at the top of Tuckerman Ravine which we have to climb down.

381949648_4aQV4-L.jpg

Below the tree line now

381949711_PE2hc-L.jpg

Nearly down

381949757_ZSgnK-L.jpg

My legs are sooo sore today, but it was a great day.

Comments

• Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Wonderful!
    Jaye
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    That second to last shot is killer! Aswesome, sounds like a fun wedding to shoot!
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    Oh wow, what an awesome wedding to shoot! And I agree about that second to last shot being great. That's the first bride with a backpack I've ever seen.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Very cool. I really like the shot of the bride traversing the rock field. The light is very nice.

I hope you don't mind that I posted a link to this thread over at Views From the Top.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    The wedding & pics are terrific! What an amazing idea, especially the idea to hike down after the ceremony.

Mt. Washington is awesome!
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Thank you for the comments, guys.

For us, this was a very challenging wedding to shoot, but very rewarding as well. I'd certainly do a similar thing again if I ever get the chance.

I learned a lot, not least about needing to be better prepared and also to be more careful about what gear I take. At one point on the hike I slipped and really thought I'm smashed one of my D3's. As it turned out, all was well but next time I'll use one of our beater cameras for the hiking shots.

Halite, no problem with the link to Views From the Top - that is a cool site, I've been reading a lot of the threads.

This week we are working at Mount Monadnock - at least it's at an Inn near the base :D:D