Options

Connecting a Canon 40d to a flash via cable

BigmitchBigmitch Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited October 18, 2008 in Finishing School
I currently own two flashes, the 430ex and a 580ex II and looking to use the flash off the camera. I would like to mount the 580 on a tripod and use a sync cable to connect to the camera.

I understand that I will have to use the flash on manual, my problem seems to be exactly what cable to use (and what ends, male to male etc) and where can I buy these cables in the UK.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 28, 2008
    The 580ex II accepts a PC cord - a PC cord is the traditional cord to connect a camera and a flash for decades.

Paramount, and others, make PC cords in various lengths. You need the male end to male end version - as your camera and your flash will both accept the male end for connection.

You CAN use the 580ex II on your camera in master mode, to trigger your 430ex ( in slave mode) with ETTL control also. This works pretty darn good indoors, unless your of camera flash is more than 15-20 feet away......

I am sure your local camera shops in the UK can find you a male to mail PC connection cord
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Canon's off shoe cable works, but only has a reach of about 60cm. Over the years, I have seen folks extending the reach with PS2 adaptors and extension cables, but don't have a link at the mo.

[Edit]
    Linky from POTN.
    You could also consider an ST-E2 transmitter
    [/edit]
  • Options
    BigmitchBigmitch Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Thanks for the help folks, im currently using the 580 as a trigger only for the 430ex but its then just dead weight on the camera, I would rather use them both off camera.

I have seen the Canon off shoe lead and its around £45 (80$ or thereabouts) which is a joke for something that looks like headphone cable.

I will check out Paramount.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 2, 2008
    Canon's IR transmitter - ST-E2 - will let you control both the 580ex and the 430ex off camera - works pretty nicely indoors. I use mine quite a bit - it has a permanent spot in my backpack.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Canon's IR transmitter - ST-E2 - will let you control both the 580ex and the 430ex off camera - works pretty nicely indoors. I use mine quite a bit - it has a permanent spot in my backpack.

Second the ST-E2, brilliant gadget. Not that cheap, but it does preserve wireless ETTL, something you will lose if you do not purchase the Canon shoe cord or use the 580 attached.
  • Options
    JohnTheMacGeekJohnTheMacGeek Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2008
    What about a strobe?
    What about using the PC outlet? Where can I find a PC cable to connect to a strobe?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    What about using the PC outlet? Where can I find a PC cable to connect to a strobe?

John, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

While you can still get PC cords and PC extension cords, I highly recommend against it. I shot that way for years when there was no practical alternative. (31 years as the product photographer for the same company.)

The cords were always a problem, even with high trigger voltages. With today's cameras and flashes using low trigger voltages I'm afraid you are asking for problems.

I highly recommend optical slave units for indoor studio controlled shoots and radio (RC) transmitter/slaves for uncontrolled and outdoor shoots. I use several 16 channel e-bay RC units and they honestly work pretty well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums