Question on 24-105 lens creep.

docbelldocbell Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited September 28, 2008 in Cameras
I have the Canon 24-105L, which is now ~ 3 years old. It recently has been showing some lens creep when held vertically. I have read that some of the larger zooms will 'normally' show some lens creep, but was wondering if I should be worried that my 24-105 is starting to show some creep (ie, should I send it back to canon for repair??).

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanx, Kevin.

Comments

• timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Personally I would send it in to get adjusted, lens creep drives me NUTS! :D
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    As long as it is not giving you any problems (I can't imagine constantly shooting vertical?) why bother having this 'fixed'? It's not adversely affecting any of the images, right? If it bothers you, have it looked at.
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    Mine creeps. Has since the day I got it shortly after they came out. A bit annoying but not too severe. Seems normal for this lens from what others have said around the 'net. Think it is a design flaw (as opposed to a technical flaw with your particular copy). If it has drastically changed since the day you got it, give Canon a shot but I imagine it would only temporarily fix things before the creeping starts again.

Cheers,
    Dave :)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Unless one does a lot of shooting vertically, up or down, and it interferes with maintaining image size, I tend to ignore it.

Many of my high ratio zooms, tend to do this some, but I just live with it, as it does not seem to affect image quality or usefullness with normal shooting. Specifically, my Canon 100-400, my Tamron 200-500, and by Canon 24-105, so I share your pain:D And yet, my 24-105 is sharp as a razor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin