Ugh! Senior Parents!!!!

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in People
I was fortunate ( or on some days unfortunate) to get on the senior portrait bandwagon but never would figure the concerns that arise. I am so used to taking babies ( and everyone loves all the baby pictures) that this is really frustrating me! :pissed Attached is a picture of a senior girl I took this week. There is a concern that her eyes are not the same size. (maybe they aren't?) There was comment that she looked too pale (she is kinda pale) so I added a warming filter to her to try to at least fix that. What are your opinions? I have taking alot of the suggestions from you all and decreased the pp and such but what else? UGH!!!!!

382007279_TwUKN-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Uhg....I don't see the photo.......do you have external links on?

Either way, I'd warn you that a google search of your business name could possibly turn up this thread. Complaining about clients in an open forum may not be a good idea.

Just sayin'.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    ne_nau.gif

20080928-d6bj7g9cmum61akp8djgktr7tr.jpg

Greetings from down river..... wave.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    Sorry, I fixed the link problem I hope. Thanks for the advice about the search. I just don't have anybody local to critique the pictures. I made my post a little nicer :D Thanks andy for the grid. I wouldn't have thought to do that :) and only a fellow New Yorker could talk about Hudson River water that way!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    Sure.....I see it now. Personally....I think her eyes...and skin tones are fine. Surely nothing to complain about.

It can be easy to become frustrated sometimes. No...the customer isn't always right....but they are always the customer. I am careful to at least try and avoid cranky folks, but still now and then one sneaks in. Last year, I had a senior who was super excited and pleased with her senior porfolio yet her step-mother was iffy about them. The photos were fabulous. My thinking was that there was more to the story than the photos. Good luck!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    First of all: lovely headshot

Second: human faces are rarely symmetrical. Eyes are often different, and sometimes so different that photographers had to employ a whole bunch of techniques to deal with it (posing, lighting, etc.)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Technically I think this shot is bang on, BUT when i first opened this thread and saw the shot, the eyes immediately dominated the photo in a not so good way.
    Definitely pretty girl, but its possible that this particular angle just doesnt work.
    Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I'm with Dave on this. It's almost as if she's straining to keep her eyes open and not blink. Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

Cheers
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    the whites of the eyes are bit too white for me. The skin imo is touch too contrasted or light..the photo is very sharp though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    crmitche wrote:
    I'm with Dave on this. It's almost as if she's straining to keep her eyes open and not blink. Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

Cheers
    Craig

I also noticed the same thing.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    crmitche wrote:

Cheers
    Craig

I see this (really large eyes) very often when people are wearing contacts. I first saw this in a picture of me when I was wearing contacts (I'm almost always in glasses). I thought I looked like a deer in the headlights! I then found a couple of photos without glasses or contacts and my eyes were much more relaxed and narrow.

So I started to look for it more when I photographed. And more often than not, the big round eyes corelated with contacts. Just watch TV and notice how common it is ...
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Would it be silly then to recommend to people sitting for portraits to avoid contacts that day and wear glasses if they can? Although I can't see much without my glasses, I would think it'd be a small price to pay for getting better photos if I was sitting for a shoot.

Just a thought,
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thank you so much for all the replies. You have been very helpful. I will take notice more about the contact thing, you might be on to something! They haven't yet picked which one she wants for the yearbook. This was just one I picked out to demonstrate. I will post the one she picks when she does! Thanks again.....:D
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    There is a concern that her eyes are not the same size. (maybe they aren't?)

I see it too. I suggest lightening the shadow caused by her upper eyelid (close to the nose) on her left eye. Also, the colored part of her left eye looks a tad wider than the right eye. You could probably fix this in Photoshop. I'd give it a shot myself, but I'm on my way to work.
    There was comment that she looked too pale (she is kinda pale) so I added a warming filter to her to try to at least fix that.

Even with the warming filter, her pale skin does make her look a bit washed out. Can you bring it down a little in Photoshop? Maybe with her skin she would look look better with short lighting than broad lighting. Just a thought, anyway.

Mike

P.S. Great pose and lighting, by the way.