Crown of Pakistan

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited September 28, 2008 in Landscapes
382114334_4KUsR-L.jpg
Some of you have already seen this mosque. It is Shah Faisal Mosque one of the largest mosques in the world. The design was selected from 17 different proposals architects from all over the world were called to submit the design. Design of Turkish architect got approved it was designed like an Arab desert tent. Mosque was a gift of Arabs to Pakistanis hence named after the king of Saudi Arabia.
It has capacity of 300,000 worshipers. The main hall is amazing unfortunately cameras and gadgets are not allowed inside it. There is some amazing calligraphy by Sadqain
It is decorated for holy month of ramadan. I call it crown of Pakistan looks like one. It is visible from whole city. Yesterday rumor about bomb in this mosque spread in whole city and mosque was evacuated. there was strict security today.

Here are two old photos shot through tinted glass.
123581945_P9YmZ-S.jpg
Gold plating is used for decoration
123581173_cHVDH-S.jpg

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Gorgeous inside ...:D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Gorgeous inside ...:D
    Thanks Antonio for looking. I think last time i entered the main hall was 10 years agoeek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    Thanks Antonio for looking. I think last time i entered the main hall was 10 years agoeek7.gif

Great shots Awais and you really do have some lovely shots of your country which I would love to visit, as my father in law was once a surgeon at Upper Assam.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    canon400d wrote:
    Great shots Awais and you really do have some lovely shots of your country which I would love to visit, as my father in law was once a surgeon at Upper Assam.
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks Bob for kind words. Assam is in India :D

My Gallery