Rainy Day Self Portrait

dladla Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited September 29, 2008 in People
So, this is my first time trying to light a portrait, and since I was home alone on a rainy day I decided to try it out by myself.

I set it up near a window, trying to get a photo looking out the window while reading. I lit it with the window light, a reading light over the shoulder, and an off-camera flash off to the right.

So, I'm looking for comments on the capture itself, and how I might improve it with post-processing.

First, the picture as I (kind of) envisioned it:

382186727_gmMyo-X2.jpg

And the color capture:

382186600_Ya2xi-X2.jpg

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    I like the B&W one much better. I think it would be stronger if there was a bit more contrast in the midtones.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    I like the B&W one much better. I think it would be stronger if there was a bit more contrast in the midtones.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    Nice capture, btw! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dladla Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins

Thanks! The intention was always for a B&W, I only dropped the color in there in case someone was curious.

I've used a green filter for the B&W conversion that upped some of the contrast, but I'm fairly new at this type of photography:

382189594_LrEFg-X2.jpg