Options

Current Wisdom on Cheap Monitor Callibration ?

asheppashepp Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited October 9, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hi Folks,
I've been trying to figure out what the best bet is for affordable monitor / print callibration.
I've seen mentions on the boards and on Amazon of both the:
Huey Pro - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFC1YY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
and
Spyder 3 - http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-S3P100-Spyder3-pro/dp/B000X4X37A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222642104&sr=8-4

But neither really seem to have glowing reviews with a lot of issues reported.

Can anyone help decipher what the best recommendation would be for an amateur photographer who want s to make sure prints from a Canon Pro 9000 printer are closer to what I see on the monitor ?

Thanks
Adam.

Comments

• Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    I have the HUEY !!!!
    Also have a 6700D canon printer 6 ink system ....I finally got everything working well ....There are other factors aswell that you may need to consider.Monitor- LCD ,paper etc....Now I don't know much about the spyder ,but I understand it has a few more advanced options .....(I believe white point is one,and if your using a LCD I would think this a biggy !!!!
    Your choice ,but educate yourself by reading a little more it's cheap...
    My next calibration investment looks tobe a Colormunki !!!!

Goodluck: Brady thumb.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    try x-rite's new color munki. while more expensive than a huey, it seems more versatile. i just picked one up and will be testing it soon.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    A little more expensive !!!
    dangin wrote:
    try x-rite's new color munki. while more expensive than a huey, it seems more versatile. i just picked one up and will be testing it soon.
    About 350.00 more !!!
    I don't believe "asheep" was looking on spending that kind of money....I could be wrong though ! The huey pro runs about 125.00 ,and the munki is about 499.00.
    I'm seriously considering one though....Some reviews say it one hell of a little tool !!!! Now if I can only get my money tree to produce some fruit !!!

Brady rolleyes1.gif

Note: The color munki Monitor Calibrator is 149.00 .....To do printer and palettes as well you need the design version which is 499.00 -10% as of now 459.00....

If it works as well as they say it does ....It's probably a dam good investment IMHO !!!!

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    I have a regular Huey and would recommend that.
    I use Canon's DPP and print from a Canon printer and find the colors after being calibrated by Huey to be pretty much spot on.